Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,710 Posts
I don't think I really have too many issues with appliance installs. Worst issue I ever had was the cabinet guy didn't give me enough room.

I sure hope Canadians can win. My dishwasher is shot.
If I win...it's all yours. Come and get it...Delaware.

Reactions: SamM

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
For almost everything not just appliances I want the products on the jobsite beforehand. I've learned not to trust specs written or otherwise.

Specs and damage are my biggest issues.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
For almost everything not just appliances I want the products on the jobsite beforehand. I've learned not to trust specs written or otherwise.

Specs and damage are my biggest issues.
I know our cabinet installers will not cut out the countertops without the appliance there. I have seen a few oops when the dimensions were incorrect on the specs

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I installed a high end built in fridge---the instructions were a confusing mess---

The cabinet builders couldn't make heads or tails out of the drawings either.

As a result the cabinets were not built correctly.

For all of our sake--hire a good technical writer and artist---good grief.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not too many difficulties, but finding someone who knows what they are talking about between the order process and the delivery seems very difficult.

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
I have no challenges. The client picks out what they want. I but it and schedule the delivery and installation. I have to deal with a scratch or ding on a wall, but I would hardly call that a challenge.

·
Fugetaboutit
205 Posts
What are your biggest challenges when handling appliances for your projects?

I work alone now, so moving them is probably the only slight challenge.
Even so, a hand truck makes short order.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The biggest challenge that I have is getting all the tape and clear plastic protection stuff off of them! I bit my finger-nails! LOL

·
Administrator
44,112 Posts
Simple.

Manufacturers Specs. At the bottom it says "Specifications can change without notice"

And because of that I generally don't trust anything but the physical appliance. I've been screwed over once by this and come close many other times from specs that are off or drawings that are so disproportionate from the actual appliance it's not even funny.

If they want a clean install, they should at least write good accurate specs and a nice drawing with good dimensions.

And when you ship a product that has installation instructions for 10 similar appliances you should note which instruction is the one for the appliance in the box. :mad:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
There are a few issues I find:

I always want to have appliances on site if possible as soon as I can get them, for a few reasons.

1.) to make sure they do actually fit into area needed, I just have a difficult time trusting some of the manufacturers measurements with sight unseen.
2.) I have been promised the appliance would arrive on a certain day and spent weeks after still trying to get the appliance for one reason or another, makes me look bad
3.) On remodel, what to do with old appliances, we as a society need to do more recycling of the old instead of landfill being the most used option.
4.) Getting them delivered to staging area to make sure we have them, keeping them from being damaged during construction and then getting the appliance into position when needed.

There are probably more, but those are my issues at this time. Not sure of great solutions but those are what I find.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
If you gave 100 copies of the exact same make & model of appliance to 100 different installers, the net result would be 100 different methods used to install it.

It's always a jigsaw puzzle trying to figure out how each and every one of them was installed, despite the fact that the same instructions are included with the appliance. And 99 out of those 100 are done incorrectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spec sheets given before appliances arrive on site. Then sometimes they differ when time to install. Such as specs show 120V appliance requires 240V 4-wire!:censored:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Having the clients get a "deal" on appliances and when something goes wrong the finger is pointed.
"Spec sheet, huh? But we got it half price!"

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
It's usually the install or delivery for me. Nothing like finding out after the house is on the market that the garbage disposal isn't powered up or the waterline to the fridge isn't hooked up. Sure, I try and check everything, but having great subs makes sure if I am slacking they have my back.

Banging walls and door frames is also a big one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Biggest challenge? The freaking size of these things nowadays.

Taking doors off fridges to barely squeeze them in the front door, then having to reinstall said doors....

Or when a customer buys a stove that's too big for the stairwell and they live on the 4th damned floor...carrying appliances overhead, up multiple flights sucks.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts