Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
Your Trade Here!
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kitchen-lge.jpg

We have partnered with Sears Commercial to give away a stainless steel Kenmore Built-In Dishwasher w/ SmartWash® HE Cycle.

To enter, reply to this thread with your response to the following question.

What are your biggest challenges when handling appliances for your projects?

On April 1, 2016 we will do a random drawing to select the winner.

Kenmore® 24" Built-In Dishwasher w/ SmartWash® HE Cycle

dishwasher.jpg

The Kenmore built-in dishwasher 1241 features the exclusive SmartWash HE Cycle that delivers excellent cleaning results while using the least amount of resources for each unique load. You’ll get the right wash for every load, every time. This dishwasher also includes a Time Remaining Display that provides you with valuable information, like the amount of time left in your cycle, while the exterior cycle status light signals when your dishes are clean, dry and ready to use. And, it operates at just 53 dBA, so you can carry on everyday activities, like listening to music, without interruption while your dishes are getting clean.

searslogo.jpg

See the new article sponsored by Sears Commercial here on our site!

"Most major appliance suppliers will welcome the opportunity to ensure your procurement goes smoothly. After all, as a contractor, you're more likely to be a return customer if you and your client experience a snag-free process. So the first step is to identify the suppliers that can provide you with the appliance you need. Next, get them on the phone - talk to them about your project. You're building a relationship that can have a direct impact on your bottom line, so it's well worth taking time to get answers to some "what if" questions. And the answers to those questions should help you decide if you're talking to the right company." How Pros Ensure a Smooth Appliance Installation

Added Note: Responses to this thread should be limited to entering the giveaway by responding to the posted question.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,738 Posts
What are your biggest challenges when handling appliances for your projects?
I'll reply and take myself out of the running immediately.:laughing:

I recently had to change out a combination microwave and convection oven wall unit for a customer. Long time and great customers so I did all the research for them and ordered the oven after their approval.

I was told by Sears, I would be contacted when the unit came in. I opted for store delivery for a couple of reasons. The contact never came.

After making multiple calls (none of which are actually direct lines to the physical store) I finally was connected with someone who "thought" the unit was sitting in the pickup area. A few moments later I was told they were "pretty sure it's there". I should call back tomorrow, which I did.

After jumping through the "please press a hundred different numbers for English, department, reason for my call, etc", I spoke to a person that guaranteed me the oven was on a truck and was en route to the store. WTF?

I then asked to speak to the sales person in the physical store where I purchased the oven. I was on hold for probably five minutes before being disconnected. So...start this whole nerve-racking, unnecessary process over again.

I finally called customer service...(go through same "Press # dexterity game again) and speak to a very helpful and apologetic young lady that will get to the bottom of all this...please hold.

Please hold...please hold...please hold......okay...I'm holding. I put her on speaker and post some more in P&R....:laughing:

She comes back and informs me she can't get anyone in the physical store to answer the phone. She has tried several different direct lines to different departments and no one is answering the phone. Please hold....sure...no problem.

She comes back and apologizes some more and tells me she's not sure at this point what I should do...maybe drive 40 miles round trip to the store and check for myself.

So.......I decide to do something that has always worked for me in the past. When prompted to "say in a few words the reason for my call", I announce in a plain and distinct voice "CANCEL ORDER".

I was immediately connected a person of unknown intelligence that told me yes in fact, my appliance was in the store awaiting pickup.

Thanks...that's all I wanted to know.

The rest was a piece of cake except for banging my thumb with the oven hinge. God's way of payback for thinking bad thoughts of Sears I guess.

Shall we talk about a Bosch dishwasher experience with Best Buy last year?

Nah....we'll save it for another day.

So...my biggest challenges when dealing with appliances has nothing to do with the appliance or installation. It has to do with this absolutely crazy idea that every store on planet earth can't simply have a human being of average intelligence, who speaks intelligible English, answering the phone and doing their level best to help. Like the old days.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Most of the time, none at all.

Mostly because I like to have all of my appliances on site as early as possible, so I can head off any interesting installation unknowns before they occur.

Rarely, it can be a pain to get super detailed drawings.
Considering that I'm always trying to put square pegs in round holes (or it seems like that :whistling ), they come in very handy when I don't have a unit on site.

It took me 14 phone calls to Bangladesh before I could get the gas and electrical location numbers on a Bosch range I installed last year. :sad:

Reactions: Cricket

·
House surgeon
2,389 Posts
If the way to win this contest was "send a picture of your dishwasher and the worst one wins', I would win.

My biggest gripe is just getting specs or making sure appliances are on site for special measurement items. I've had measurements given to me over the phone and they be wrong. Other than that, not many.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
So far, our biggest challenge handling appliances is actually the handling. We recently brought in a 13k stove and it was a huge ordeal just getting it from the garage and inro the kitchen.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
The biggest challenge most times isn't so much the installation but getting the appliances on site damage free. It seems there is always 1 out of the package that has a scratch or dent somewhere. This isn't brand specific. It can really mess up a schedule when that happens.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been fortunate with scheduling, deliveries, installation and all the 'construction' issues. I sell houses with appliances - the house gets a one year top to bottom warranty, the appliances get a one year warranty. But the appliance warranty starts on the day of delivery. The house warranty starts on possession. That gap is anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months , depending on how long a house sits before sale. That can get tre expensive, whether you add extended warranty or just self-insure. A dishwasher that has never been wet, could have its warranty half gone.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Hands down, its the delivery monkeys that damage door jambs, floors. A never broken rule is that one of us has to be there to monitor the drop-off and physical inspection.

To the OP w/regards to warranty: Part of the punch-out guys duties is to run every DW through a complete cycle, check all wet connections, run each range on all burners and oven and test for door operation, fire up 0-clearance fireplaces and burn off the new stink, and onward through the complete appliance list.

Oh, which reminds me: there is nothing more foul than the smell of burning plastic because "somebody" left the foam element support in place on the oven during that test run.

Over the years, GE has been very good w/regards to install date warranties. I don't know if it's a function of the dollar volume. I also don't know how Sears is in this case.

·
Bubble stick operator
572 Posts
My biggest challenge is timing: you want appliances there early enough to take a physical measurement to ensure that the kitchen is put together right, but you don't want the appliances cluttering the place up and getting damaged while you put the kitchen together. (If forced to choose, I'll opt for accurate measurements and put up with the pain of appliances on-site for too long.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Without a doubt: delivery subs. As noted already, some of these guys have are a sub of a sub. I can only imagine the pay they are getting for this.

Recent example: The homeowners and I were excitedly awaiting their new high-end (read: expensive) appliances. I was there removing the old to be transferred to a rental and to make sure the delivery (and install) guys do it right.

The truck shows up and within minutes the delivery guy and homeowners are about in fisticuffs! The delivery guy wants to bring appliances in through the front door and the homeowners want it through the back. Delivery guy even starts getting tough saying something like "this is the way we are coming in and that's it!". To be fair, the front door was easier egress, but would mean travel through several rooms of freshly refinished hardwood floors. I also understand these guys don't get paid crap, but this is what you agree to do.

I step in and call the store (local place).

The homeowners got what they wanted, and delivery guy was visibly upset (underbreath comments, etc).

Would have been better off just doing it myself, but "free delivery and install included".

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I guess I have the Anti-Rob story...

Did a full kitchen last year with all Kenmore. Models chosen were not the very top-shelf, but some pretty nice equipment.

Had it all shipped to the store and was able to hold off delivery until we were ready...no problem:whistling

It included a drop-in gas range so there were questions on clearance and counter cut. Just went down to their warehouse, opened up the actual unit and measured it. Then boxed it back up and they held it till the granite was in:thumbsup:

Gotta love the perks of small town America:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Biggest challenge is buying on behalf of rental owners. They always want something for nothing, like somebody else to go purchase and arrange delivery and install with minimal compensation.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,738 Posts
Biggest challenge is buying on behalf of rental owners. They always want something for nothing, like somebody else to go purchase and arrange delivery and install with minimal compensation.
My rant was for a rental. I charged for every minute of my time. I made them aware of the hell I went through and they were glad it was me and not them.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,738 Posts
I guess I have the Anti-Rob story...

Did a full kitchen last year with all Kenmore. Models chosen were not the very top-shelf, but some pretty nice equipment.

Had it all shipped to the store and was able to hold off delivery until we were ready...no problem:whistling

It included a drop-in gas range so there were questions on clearance and counter cut. Just went down to their warehouse, opened up the actual unit and measured it. Then boxed it back up and they held it till the granite was in:thumbsup:

Gotta love the perks of small town America:thumbup:

Was it one of the privately owned, smaller Sears stores or a mega store?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,738 Posts
It's privately owned as I understand it... They don't reciprocate with the larger stores in the area
Bingo.

We have one here also and I do a little bit of business with them. I'd do more if I could but their hands are tied. I couldn't even get the oven delivered to them.

And....they actually answer the phone when I call them. Imagine!!!!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Not many issues but biggest one being appliances being delivered damaged.Then sometimes a replacement has to be ordered.Can really hold thing up for me.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
The problem I see as an ec is the specs. I love it when the specs say one thing and the unit comes in with a totally different configuration. I have seen dryers spec'd as straight 240V and then show up as a standard 240/120 unit. Fortunately I always run a 10/3 with ground so I am safe.

I had a microwave that was spec'd as 120V and when it arrived it was a 240/120V unit--- 30 amps--- that one killed us especially since they 2 of them.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't think I really have too many issues with appliance installs. Worst issue I ever had was the cabinet guy didn't give me enough room.

I sure hope Canadians can win. My dishwasher is shot.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts