Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what other people think is reasonable for this project. I live in New Jersey, near Philly.
Customer has a concrete patio and wants to put a 10 by 20 room on it.
Will have a 6 foot vinyl slider, 2 double hung vinyl windows.
Sided with 4 inch vinyl siding. Insulated floor with 1 inch rigid insul and 2 layers of 1/2 inch ply. (customer will finish floor with carpet-his expense)
Roof will be tied into existing roof.3-tab shingles.
Inside will be insulated and sheetrocked walls and ceiling. Will remove siding from house inside new room and put up sheetrock. Install 3 electric outlets.
NO heat will be installed.

Cost? How long would it take you working alone ?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Doesn't sound like a job with a 'permit', - - sounds like you would need a minimum of 4 outlets (and that's not including the existing wall), - - and how about footings, - - you can't just go ahead and build on a patio slab.

Don't know where you're at, - - that's your business, - - but I'm in central Jersey myself, - - and around here, - - the inspectors would lick their chops while waiting for you to complete the job, - - then come in and tell you to rip it all down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The homeowner does not want to get a permit and knows the risk-He does not care. he does not want his taxes to go up and he feels he can get away with in as the inspectors in the town are few and no one can see it being built
from the street. He does not care that it is built on the slab-4 ".
They do it all the time here and the companies that install sunrooms put it right on the slab. Their sunrooms have the same profile as what he wants built.

·
Registered
114 Posts
well number one , those sunrooms are aluminum and glass, not lumber and plywood. a bit of a weight difference there. two, you'd better have something in your contract to protect yourself on this one . not to mention YOU could probably get in license trouble for even building it. and if you get caught? well-good luck. really for your sake , i hope you either insist on a permit(they'll make him tear it down no matter how long it takes them to find it.) , or just walk away.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
OK, - - I see what you're saying, - - just keep in mind that if the inpectors were to show up, - - the homeowner can play dumb, - - you can't.

You didn't mention shed roof or gable roof, - - you're probably talkin' shed.

I don't know, sounds like about 4 weeks at the most for 1 guy (don't really know your experience level), - - including run-around time and all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
To begin with,
" No customer is going to tell me I am going to be doing un-permitted work that should be permitted !!!"
What are you thinking ? Where's your ethics? (It Should Matter to You.)
Your business should be worth far more than this customer.
Tell him "Good Luck" and WALK Away,unless you are a handyman and doing unlicensed construction is the way you do business.

·
Registered
118 Posts
NO Permit !...

Spectatorz said:
To begin with,
" No customer is going to tell me I am going to be doing un-permitted work that should be permitted !!!"
What are you thinking ? Where's your ethics? (It Should Matter to You.)
Your business should be worth far more than this customer.
Tell him "Good Luck" and WALK Away,unless you are a handyman and doing unlicensed construction is the way you do business.

Spectatorz You are right, I don't know what kind of a contractor Bellerose is but if he would be willing to do the work with out a permit what other illegal and unsafe construction is he doing. maybe he doesn't know the building code god help him if the building inspector found out who did the work
and the inspector will find out because the home owner will squeel as soon as he is caught. My contractor ( Jones Const. ) said I didn't need a permit

·
Lic. Remodeler/Builder
33 Posts
You must walk away.
The customer will not be happy with improper construction,no footings etc.
As the contractor it will come back on you.
Maybe RUN away would be better.

Good luck,
Joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Multi-Tasker said:
You must walk away.
The customer will not be happy with improper construction,no footings etc.
As the contractor it will come back on you.
Maybe RUN away would be better.

Good luck,
Joe
I decided not to do it. You are all correct. I know it needs a footing.
He'll find somebody to build it. I got tempted by the money. Two weeks work to clear 4,000. With my luck I would get caught by the township or get sued by the homeowner. The problem around here is there are a lot of unlicensed, uninsured people that charge too little and most people go for that.
They want low cost. They do not know nor care about proper techniques.
We were talking about how the side of the extension would interface with the existing roof. He said he was told a good quality caulk would do fine to keep water from getting in. I said you must step flash the shingles along the side. He had no idea what that meant. Because he did not know that is exactly how these guys who charge less do the job. They are in and out and disappear after a year or change names, etc. Like the scam artists who spray watered down black paint on a driveway and call it blacktop.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
bellerose said:
I decided not to do it.
Good
You may be poorer in cash for your choice
But you are richer in integrity
In the long run, that is much more valuable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts