Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
does the client really want a 'pergola' or just a covered space for employee picnic's? That latter is just a pole building with the roof made out of trusses-a barn without walls.

where are you located? CA has their own set of requirements, up north has snow load, down south may have more wind load to consider, all things the engineer will be able to evaluate while drawing up sealed plans to build from.
Definitely want a pergola. It's a big winery in TX - also an event center so it HAS to be a perfect, beautiful show-piece. Lots of wind, sometimes sustained winds of 60mph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It can also bury your business.

To try too much too fast can be disastrous.

- Have you ever built one before?

No.

If it does grow your business 10 times Are you ready for that?

Build a few small ones first.

There is no shame and there is much wisdom in passing up something beyond your capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for these warnings. We're in our 6th years of biz, and starting out with small ones is sound advice.

·
Master Mason
121 Posts
Good luck dirtbiker, you never know what you're made of until you step out of your comfort zone, sounds like an interesting project. Keep your eyes and ears open, take it serious, you'll be fine.

·
Contractor
4,723 Posts
not sure where you are, but TimberTown in Pflugerville (just off I35) has a decent size display 'pergola' to show off their products. It's maybe 20x30(?) but interesting to see the detail work.

I'm a fan of the engineered pavilions I use to see back in Delaware.
https://delawarestateparks.reserveamerica.com/webphotos/DE/pid360131/0/540x360.jpg

looks like glulam beams, solid 1.5" pine t&g decking and roofing of your choice. they're attractive from inside and don't give birds a place to park themselves and poo over everything.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts