Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited the factory this week, unfortunately they where closed for the holiday. The shop was pretty basic, but what they turn out is anything but basic. GMOD

http://

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I assume that is the custom shop...

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I would think they would need a much bigger shop for normal ie;Les Paul Standard's,Studio's,cheaper SG's and what not...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I love my Gibson X-plorer .. I prefer the clean crisp tone of a fender, But the Gibson plays so nice it is easy to play. I also love the tune-matic bridge, I do not like the floating junk on strats or floyd rose bridges.
I believe the X-plorer is made in Kalamazoo MI.. Is nashiville the custom shop location

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I traded my brother one of my rifles for this back in the 90's. Its a 1972 or 74 Gibson SG. He bought it new back in the 70's. My girls want to start taking lessons so I might have to break down and buy an amp for them...

Anyone how much there going for now?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Anyone how much there going for now?

Oh 'bout tree fiddy:whistling

Seriously, Thats a nice SG walker. You can run the seiral #'s and get the year. If its a 70's model its worth some bucks. :thumbsup:

Autumn, Thats a good looking explorer too. I've always wanted to play around with the Kalamazoo pickups.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I built a guitar once with my oldest boy.
Plays pretty sweet for something that used to house cigars.:laughing: CBG-2.jpg

CBG-1.jpg

CBG-3.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am just sooooo happy to see goods made in the good ole USA.!!!! Thats what we need more of!!!!!!! Gibson is no doubt one of the best made.

·
Design Build
6,220 Posts
Opryland Mall (sp)

They have more varied eatin' places than any mall I've ever been. My fav was the aquarium themed place.

I saw a guitar there that was built to look like the grill of a yellow Hummer H2

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am just sooooo happy to see goods made in the good ole USA.!!!! Thats what we need more of!!!!!!! Gibson is no doubt one of the best made.

First off ... I have been playing for 30 plus years and have a Custom Shop Les Paul myself. As for Gibson there are MANY smaller american shops that far outdo them in terms of quality,fit/finish ect.. My particular guitar has a MSRP of around 4k and I have had to modify the bridge and electronics (and need to redo the nut) to get it up to snuff. Granted I LOVE the sound and look of a les paul and to me and many others the problems associated with Gibson are worth putting up with but frustrating nonetheless. CHeck out www.thegearpage.net forums and look for the Small Luthier section to see some ideas of what is out there. Guitarists are in the golden age of quality and selection with all the small boutique guys out there.

FWIW Gibson has been voted # 1 (on the forbes list I think) as the WORST place to work in America. This may explain some of their qc problems these days. Also FWIW Gibson is rumored to be going under this year :sad:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Nice Gus :thumbsup:
Looks like Bo Diddley's box guitar. How did you attatch the neck?
The neck runs through the box and out the end. As I remember I kinda half lapped the neck over the edge of the box. It was not that complex.

My son who will turn 30 this year, came up with all the info needed off the internet. There are several how-to sites on the subject.

It was fun and he was very appreciative. One of those father son things that played out real well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I also love the tune-matic bridge, I do not like the floating junk on strats or floyd rose bridges.

Strat tremolos don't need to float, just do up the springs so the back of the bridge rests against the body, no more floating, same can be done with Floyd Rose types, as long as the body hasn't been hollowed out behind such as on an Ibanez Jem.

I thnk tune-o-matic bridges would be better if they used decent steel for the bridge pieces, which tend to wear out over time.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Gibson and Martin are two examples of sucessful American manufacturing for more thatn 100 years. Martin dabbled in making a few things overseas but have pulled back their focus to Nazareth PA, their home for over a century. I don't know if Gibson is building internationally. I never did catch why they moved from Kalamazoo. I bet those MI folks wish they could have their guitar plant again. I think some gibsons are made in Montana too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts