Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the knowledgable guys on here.
I was watching a HGTV show on the weekend.
The house appeared to have just a two wire outlets. The electrician explained that to re-wire the whole house would be expensive, ( no s**t).
They put GFI's in all the outlets.
Question is , don't you still need a ground wire to make them work?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
A GFCI will work correctly without a ground wire. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
In fact I believe that is the only approved way to wire a 3 prong plug to a 2 wire system. I find many old timers that still think they need a ground , for "ground fault" to work.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
A GFCI will work correctly without a ground wire. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, as there would be if current was flowing to the ground, it trips the circuit.
added to it.

Stupid analogy: You pour 10 gallons into a hose and 8 come out the other end. Even though you didn't see it, you know it leaked and you stop pouring before something gets too wet. With electricity, this is a little more instant.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, you do not need an equipment ground to make a GFCI trip, because you become the ground and when that current goes through you, it senses that and trips.

·
90%-er
1,414 Posts
added to it.

Stupid analogy: You pour 10 gallons into a hose and 8 come out the other end. Even though you didn't see it, you know it leaked and you stop pouring before something gets too wet. With electricity, this is a little more instant.
You can call your analogy stupid all day if you want, but I disagree. That was the most succinct ways I've ever heard that explained and I'm gonna steal it shamelessly

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
added to it.

You can call your analogy stupid all day if you want, but I disagree. That was the most succinct ways I've ever heard that explained and I'm gonna steal it shamelessly
x2 :thumbsup:

I like that. It would make sense to people who "don't get electricity". And I'll also be stealing it, but not shamelessly. I will feel a little remorse every time I use it....hope that helps. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I like that explanation as well. It's so difficult to explain without a bunch of jargon, and people always ask. Kudos!:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts