Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my bath room for a little while now and its time for set out. I have a GFI at the sink and added a light over the mirror and used a GFIC with a single plug with a switch for what I would assume would be a light BUT I can not make it work lol.

I have one piece romex coming in the the box wired to the line on the GFI and its wired hot to hot side and neutral to neutral side then there are two black wires coming out of the top of the outlet for the switch and they are wired the same hot to hot and neutral to neutral the just wired in the light BUT the light does not get power and the outlet works the GFI trips like it should, and there is consent power even with the GFIC tripped

any ideas or am I just retarded

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,816 Posts
I had that happen on a bathroom job last year. The switch was defective. Took it back and got another one. THAT was defective too. Went to a different supplier and got ANOTHER one (same mfg), checked it right there in the parking lot and... yup, it was a dud as well. i think it might have been Leviton.

Finally went to Lowe's and got one that worked.

But now that I'm re-reading your post, i'm not sure whether you have it wired right. The switch section (in ones I've used) is totally separate from the outlet part. You wire that just as you would any normal toggle switch, completely ignoring the other half of the package.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,564 Posts
I have been working on my bath room for a little while now and its time for set out. I have a GFI at the sink and added a light over the mirror and used a GFIC with a single plug with a switch for what I would assume would be a light BUT I can not make it work lol.

I have one piece romex coming in the the box wired to the line on the GFI and its wired hot to hot side and neutral to neutral side then there are two black wires coming out of the top of the outlet for the switch and they are wired the same hot to hot and neutral to neutral the just wired in the light BUT the light does not get power and the outlet works the GFI trips like it should, and there is consent power even with the GFIC tripped

Hire a pro! :thumbsup: What do you think this is a DIY forum? :laughing:

·
ampman
783 Posts

your description is hard to follow

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had this problem and what I did not realize was that all the bathrooms where on one circuit so the GFCI I installed in the 1/2 bath downstairs had tripped and that was why I didn't have any power.

·
Banned
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so heres where we are tried two other "GFI" one the same the other diff. Lets see if I can explain this better,,,,

I have one single outlet that was in the bath room feeds off of a bedroom with four outlets that's all that's on the cir, this outlet is the end of the run and is GFI for the bath room sink area. What I did when we gutted was add a light over the mirror and the wife did not want a double box so I installed a GFI with a "switch" in it, so it has a switch on top and plug on the bottom and rest/test in the middle.
It is wired as follows, ONE single romex in to the box and wired to the GFI WHICH WORKS PROPER then on the top back of the outlet are two black wires for the switch and it is wired to the light with the hot wired to the hot side and neu to neu, result NOTHING like I said the outlet works, trips and resets, bulbs work in other lights light works in another location. ANYONE?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Okay so heres where we are tried two other "GFI" one the same the other diff. Lets see if I can explain this better,,,,

I have one single outlet that was in the bath room feeds off of a bedroom with four outlets that's all that's on the cir, this outlet is the end of the run and is GFI for the bath room sink area. What I did when we gutted was add a light over the mirror and the wife did not want a double box so I installed a GFI with a "switch" in it, so it has a switch on top and plug on the bottom and rest/test in the middle.
It is wired as follows, ONE single romex in to the box and wired to the GFI WHICH WORKS PROPER then on the top back of the outlet are two black wires for the switch and it is wired to the light with the hot wired to the hot side and neu to neu, result NOTHING like I said the outlet works, trips and resets, bulbs work in other lights light works in another location. ANYONE?
I've never seen resi wiring that needs neutrals on switches. This means to me you're in over your head. No offense.

I got a nickel that says the GFI and the switch are not electrically connected. You need to take power that available from the original wiring and feed the switch.

It isn't that difficult to do. Just pick up the phone and call an electrician.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Pull the device out of the box and take a picture. Then post it. Troubleshooting is hard enough to do on site without the added confusion of english.:laughing:

Post a pic and we might be able to help.

Edit-if you know how GFCI's are supposed to work, then I dont need to tell you that they measure the difference between hot and neutral, and will turn off at 4 m-amps.

You probably have a neutral problem. Have your electrician check it out. It's usually a simple fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts