Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wiring my friend's basement. While I know that NEC 2002 requires a 20A dedicated circuit for a bathroom, why?

I would like to use a 20A circuit for the bathroom, but I'd like to extend it to include 2 GFCI's for the adjacent bar.

Is there a problem (outside of code, which will not be inspected) with doing this?

Originally, I had planned on 2 circuits because the bar will have high wattage appliances, yet I can't envision someone cooking a pizza while another dries their hair!

Help! and Thanks!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Stay with your original 2 circuit plan and have it inspected. Your friend might not be so friendly if his house burns down. I am also concerned about the high amp draw at the bar, a blender can easily draw 10 amps, pizza oven even more and should be on its own circuit.
Code is based on average max. amps. IE. Bath; vent fan and possible lighting or heating, ambient lighting and utility use (hairdryer, razor chargers, etc.).
Finally, if you don't understand how to wire GCFI's you shouldn't be near a distribution panel.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
118 Posts
GFI'S/Need Help

Teetorbilt you hit it on rhe head, get it inspected, better yet get a permit !
Bob C. Tee is right about the the fire .

I am a building inspector let me tell you what happens all to often

A home owner hires a person to renovate a basement, work is done with out a permit, big deal he beats the local municipal goverment out of tax money maybe $ 300.00 to 500.00 over 10 years.
The owner wants to sell his house he paid 150 k sell for 200k, he gets a buyer they set up a closeing date. the buyer must be in there in two months. The buyers home inspector notices a finished basement because there is no second means of egress and ask if you have a permit for the basement. the owner saws no but i'll run down and get one.
He shows up in my office usually about 4:15 pm, I go home 4:30 pm.
He needs a building permit right a way, I explain I need a set of plans which shows what was done and show things like ceiling height,insulation, plumbing,
electrical and second means of egress.
The very next thing out of the home owners mouth is ( you don't understand I am selling my house and YOU are holding up the closeing)
so Bob If you think I'm going to give a certificate of compliance with out opening the walls exposing insulation and wireing your wrong !....
good luck

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
theman, I left out the permit part because they are not required everywhere.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
better yet tell your friend to hire a professional. That way his place doesn't go up in smoke. Alot of us learn the hard way, through schooling/union/apprenticeships.. do one of those and then get back to us. BTW it is 2009 now.. 02 was 6 yrs ago and 2 code updates ago. You have no business in the electrical business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts