Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Paul I used that report for a while a couple years back, was great for those who were generally interested in quality but most of the leads I was seeing back then weren't interested in quality just who had the lowest numbers.

I suggest everyone at least at the numbers and have the website handy, it has swayed a couple people my way.
I've never considered it for an unrealistic prospect, but have considered it for other purposes. Great idea!
In the past I have promoted a link to the “Cost vs. Value” report on my website (been lazy lately). But I find it cuts down on the calls from the truly clueless :thumbsup:

·
Painting & Remodeling
816 Posts
I have never really had an issue getting people to verbalize a budget. The secret is to just ask, and then explain why it is important. Establishing a rough budget is typically done over the phone before we even meet as it is a pre qualifier for getting me to show up. Sales is all about communication, and I'm a wordsmith.. :laughing:

Just tell the people you need to know their rough budget so you dont waste a bunch of "their" time.
Usually with remodeling there is design as well. I simply tell the client I need a budget if I am to come up with a design that will work for them.

Also explain how much different finishes can range in cost. It is impossible to design anything without a budget.

Simply asking works as well. Surprisingly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find that giving out numbers for past projects that we did is usually a good way to bring up budget talk. After giving the rough numbers out to them I will ask something along the lines of this: "Is this what you were expecting the cost to be?" Then I wait for an answer.

If it is a project that I'm not comfortable with giving rough numbers for then I will be more direct. "Do you have a budget and if so what did you have in mind?"

If they don't answer that questions or dance around it I will follow up with "I don't want to waste your and my time waiting for me to write up a detailed proposal for this project. Knowing your budget could save us both some time and help identify the scope of work."

If I still can't get a budget from them I have one last tactic that I use. "I believe this potential working relationship has to be based on trust between me and you. If you don't trust me now with your budget number when we haven't even started any work, how can we expect to build a trusting relationship moving forward?" I don't have this exact phrase memorized, but it usually goes something like that.

If the homeowner doesn't give me a budget then I politely say we aren't a good fit for them and happy building. At that point I'm getting bad vibes anyway. I have only ever walked out on one client in the last 7 years. This advice might not apply to all because we don't advertise so all of our business is word of month. Potential clients already have a good feeling about us before we even meet with them.

I also want to say that I'm fairly picky when it comes to choosing clients. I try to minimize anything that will cause delays or angst on a jobsite. If I think someone is going to be a pain in the arse I would rather not work for them. It just makes your job more rewarding and easier to work with pleasant people. I also want to point out that most of our clients are very picky, but also very nice and reasonable people.

·
Sponge
175 Posts
When you talk to them on the phone you ask about the project.
If you understand the scope pretty well just tell them that sounds like its going to about 12K. If you would like I can come out and give you an exact price.

That should weed out the people with the 5K budget for a 10K remodel.

Second, if onside and they ask for a ballpark, just go high and see what they say.

Its always going to look better to them if you told them 50K as a ball park and then send over the breakdown and its 45K. If you did the opposite they will get that low number in thier head and it may be hard to get it out.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts