Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, rental property, owner doesn't want to pay the cost for me to sand and refinish, floors don't look to bad. I told I'd try to buff out some of the scratches and scuffs, but could only guarantee a little better look.

First question: What in the world do you think I should charge for that? I've never been much of a janitor.

Second question: What other options/products are available to attempt a quick fix?

Thanks in advance fellas.:Thumbs:
Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
T&M all the way. I have no idea what he expects for end results, you may not either.

By quick fix, do you mean fill sticks and jiffy wax? Just sealing the floor and calling it 'character'? Tell the new occupants that they have to be covered with a rug as they are from a historic fight between Al Capone and somebody.

·
Registered
363 Posts
we always do a clean and wax method. It just beefs it up and is easy to do. We charge about a dollar a square foot. They also make some stuff called renovator by Dura Seal that works good too. You can do the renovator and then the clean and wax, but I would consider doing just the clean and wax method. Just takes a buffer with some scrubing pads and a soft white pad to finish up with. any questions just shoot. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The owner doesn't want to go for a screen and recoat?

I charge $1.50 for that. It won't get any deep stains out but it does remove scratches.

I don't usually wax floors. Interesting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Grainywood said:
The owner doesn't want to go for a screen and recoat?

I charge $1.50 for that. It won't get any deep stains out but it does remove scratches.

I don't usually wax floors. Interesting.
If its pretty old we wont re-coat it because it might be contaminated with wax based cleaners or something else so thats why why we like to do the clean and wax. If the homeowner is sure its been cleaned right and there is no wax on the floor we will coat it.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Second question: What other options/products are available to attempt a quick fix?

Bob
Bob, for a quick ghetto fix for floors, think about using that stain/poly mix. I realy hate the stuff, but if its for a rental, who cares. Pick a color slightly darker than existing to cover scratches/whatnot. Just scrub floors down with a strong cleanser, lightly sand, and cut edges, a roll poly with a foam roller. Done. Charge your day rate.

And hey floor guys, don't laugh, I did say it was a quick ghetto fix.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Bob, for a quick ghetto fix for floors, think about using that stain/poly mix. I realy hate the stuff, but if its for a rental, who cares. Pick a color slightly darker than existing to cover scratches/whatnot. Just scrub floors down with a strong cleanser, lightly sand, and cut edges, a roll poly with a foam roller. Done. Charge your day rate.

And hey floor guys, don't laugh, I did say it was a quick ghetto fix.
Personally, - - I think that's a pretty damn good idea, - - just don't mention the 'ghetto' part!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
That stuff is likely to seperate or curl up on you if it has wax, and then you have to sand it down. Call a rep for the product you want to use and he or she will tell you.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poly Stain? seperate or curl? You think the light sanding wont be enough to adhere?

Please define? I've never used poly stain and I think this would be the wrong customer to try any recovery from a mistake, even if I advised him in advance. I think he keeps his checkbook in his under skiveys.

Bob

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Maybe he's just happy to see you, Bob.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So Im not sure where youre going with this, but for a recoat you are always taking a chance. Water base will have a better chance of adhering. For the the least risk, use a chemical bonding system such as Basics IFT or the Bona equivalent. I just did a rental unit and all went well. Use the lowest sheen you can to hide any current and future scratches. I charge $1.50/ft.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts