Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
OK, I finally found a good product for getting rid of rust stains. Its a product I picked up at the local Lowe's... Iron Out, works great 2-3 scrubs and gone.
I am still having problems riding old oil stains, has any one got a good suggestion?
much appreciated, Jack

·
General Contractor
327 Posts
Hi Guys,
OK, I finally found a good product for getting rid of rust stains. Its a product I picked up at the local Lowe's... Iron Out, works great 2-3 scrubs and gone.
I am still having problems riding old oil stains, has any one got a good suggestion?
much appreciated, Jack
Hot water pressure washer and a surface cleaner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, unfortunately i only have a 3000psi cold water pressure washer. I was hoping someone could recommend a process and or product that works well on old oil stains on concrete driveways (excluding acid wash).
again thanks for your help, Jack

·
ACME
37 Posts
Yep, you have to start with steam. A high-pressure steam cleaning is the best thing for old oil stains in concrete. The heat pulls the oil out better than anything else. You can use a biodegradable detergent/degreaser for a little extra cleaning power, but the steam makes the biggest difference.

·
The Roof Cleaners LLC
19 Posts
Heat is a huge help, but you can get decent results with the right chemicals.

You can use a caustic such as sodium hydroxide or a little safer choice would be Power Stroke from EnviroSpec. Here is their web site envirospec.com. They have good products.

Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hot water and sodium hydroxide, works great for non mineral oils, like motor oil and grease, Oxalic Acid work great for rust, of course all with hot water will make the difference, But please do some research on how to apply them, and mix ratio, becasue if not done correctly can burn you, ruin the concrete, or hurt someone else.

John

·
www.gcsodablast.com
34 Posts
What about state or federal regs requiring recapture of water/cleansing agent/oil residue? Here in Texas it can be pretty tough depending on where/what you're cleaning. We do lots of oil stains on streets with mixed results and will try the suggestions here. But what about capturing the water?

·
Jon Samson
14 Posts
I second the EBC for oil. Oxlic acid for rust stains, F9 for batter acid, fertilizer is great. I have not used it for walnut and rust from metal, I heard it works good though.

Heat only goes so far, high GPM, 5.5 or better, and there is no way to get all of the oil out. Concrete is porous, and it soaks down to the bottom. Concrete is also translucent so there will always be a bit of a stain left over that can be seen. Removal off the surface though can be done.

Remember pressure isn't the cleaning, water volume, right cleaner and heat is the best combination.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second the EBC for oil. Oxlic acid for rust stains, F9 for batter acid, fertilizer is great. I have not used it for walnut and rust from metal, I heard it works good though.

Heat only goes so far, high GPM, 5.5 or better, and there is no way to get all of the oil out. Concrete is porous, and it soaks down to the bottom. Concrete is also translucent so there will always be a bit of a stain left over that can be seen. Removal off the surface though can be done.

Remember pressure isn't the cleaning, water volume, right cleaner and heat is the best combination.
That's all very good advice. Old oil stains? Sometimes you can them out, but other times a shadow will remain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but if you guys need a serious degreaser, Orange Tough 90... I had a garage floor with old spray paint stains, oil stains, and stain stains (redundant), and it cleaned it perfectly with a little elbow grease. For tough stains, apply, scrub, wipe up, and repeat.

A little pricey, but a gallon goes a long way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts