Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job where there was linoleum glued to 1/2" plywood (also 1/2" plywood under that). The glue and a thin layer of linoleum stayed on the floor and wondering if there is an easy way to get it off, or other advice. I don't reallly want to take the plywood up as it goes under the cabinets. I'll be putting 1/4 cement fiber board down before tiling.
Thanks

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
Schluter is approved for installation over linoleum.

You should also be O.K. Cementing over linoleum also, but I would check with tile guys about that. I don't see why you couldn't/shouldn't. I think the issue would be the type of linoleum, hard vs. soft.

As far as stripping it, it all depends on what was used. Some Linoleum comes off pretty easy, some get stubborn if they used an adhesive (especially that black stuff).

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
Is there a dishwasher involved? If so I would definitely use a toe kick saw & get that first layer of ply out & see how the floor looks then (deflection, hidden rot, etc...)

While you can tile over linoleum, I don't like to in case there is an issue later - Heritage, the main issue is how well it has adhered to the surface & what exactly is below it

·
Tile Contractor So Cal
99 Posts
If you end up leaving the vinyl I would sand it at the very least so the
thin set for your backer board has something to bite to. I would also use the screws and not just nails to be safe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The linoleum is stripped off, but there is a thin layer of material left that is stuck to the glue. If I take off the plywood, I'm left with only 1/2 in plywood subfloor. Can I use 1/2" cement board on top of that? I can't imagine the 1/2" plywood is strong enough as a sub-floor, and I don't think adding 1/2" cement board would increase the strength that much.

·
Tile Contractor So Cal
99 Posts
Cement Board does not add any strength to the floor. The sub floor has to meet the deflection standards before the cement board goes on.

·
Full Service Renovations
1,318 Posts
The linoleum is stripped off, but there is a thin layer of material left that is stuck to the glue. If I take off the plywood, I'm left with only 1/2 in plywood subfloor. Can I use 1/2" cement board on top of that? I can't imagine the 1/2" plywood is strong enough as a sub-floor, and I don't think adding 1/2" cement board would increase the strength that much.

Sub floor should be 1 1/4" but you could get awya with adding ditra or ditra XL

·
Registered
699 Posts
16" oc joist spacing Minimum subfloor requirements for Ditra under porcelain/ceramic is 5/8" nom. Under stone is 3/4" nom. plus another layer 3/8" nom.

Cement board will not add strength to the floor assembly, but rather weakens it with the extra weight. Most cement boards require minimum 5/8" nom. subfloor as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts