Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on getting my general contractors license in the state of Kansas? It is my understanding that licensing is not required at the state level but and the city/county level. Where can I go to get my contractor license in Kansas. What is required to get my license? I have tried to find info out online but keep coming up short. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
City level. Manhattan required you to take IBC exam to be a general contractor and be able to pull permits but homeowners could pull permits and skirt that issue. Kinda screwy.

Where are you located?

Call the city and talk to someone in the code services department and they will be able to answer any questions you have about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im located in Newton. I will try and get in touch with someone in code services. I have made a couple of calls and no one seems to know where the heck to transfer me too. I guess I will keep on tryin, persistence pays off most of the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From Newtons City website, Departments then Engineering and code services

Every individual builder, plumber, electrician, and heating and cooling technician should obtain a contractor's license. Builders must obtain either a class A, B, C, or D licenses depending upon the type of work performed. Builders must show proof of the appropriate International Conference of Building Officials Contractor Certification or take a test on building codes offered by the City of Newton. Electricians, Plumbers, and Heating and Cooling Technicians must have either their Journeyman or Masters Block Certification.​
To find out more about licensing please call 284-6022.

·
Registered
19 Posts

The following is a list of costs associated with a contractor license;​
  • Building Contractor Licenses.

Class B- $100.00 a year plus proof of $300,000 of liability and workman's compensation insurance. The test for a class B contractor's license is $30.00. The test has a four-hour time limit and is based upon the Uniform Building Code and City of Newton Building Codes.

Class C- $75.00 a year plus proof of $300,000 of liability and workman's compensation insurance. The test for a class C contractor's license is $30.00. The test has two-hour time limit and is based upon the Uniform Building Code and the City of Newton Building Codes.

Class D-$50.00 a year plus proof of $300,000 of liability and workman's compensation insurance. The test for a class D contractor's license is $5.00. The test has an unlimited time limit and is based upon a small portion of the Uniform Building Code and the City of Newton Building Codes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a problem, good luck and take care of the people up there. It's a great town, my grand parents are from there and we visit as much as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts