Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this would be a good place to come and ask some questions.

I want to get involved with a GC. I want to learn the whole process of building houses, and I am pretty serious about taking on the trade for the lifetime. I only have a little bit of experience with framing, and general carpentry skills that I picked up in high school. Am I in my right mind to apply and inquire about getting hired with a GC to learn these skills? I'm 32 years old right now. I understand that a lot of GCs subcontract, but the more I can learn with someone, the better. I like the labor intensive work, I could never handle a desk job. I'm too active. So I come here before I could potentially make myself look like an ass for applying to jobs.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I figured this would be a good place to come and ask some questions.

I want to get involved with a GC. I want to learn the whole process of building houses, and I am pretty serious about taking on the trade for the lifetime. I only have a little bit of experience with framing, and general carpentry skills that I picked up in high school. Am I in my right mind to apply and inquire about getting hired with a GC to learn these skills? I'm 32 years old right now. I understand that a lot of GCs subcontract, but the more I can learn with someone, the better. I like the labor intensive work, I could never handle a desk job. I'm too active. So I come here before I could potentially make myself look like an ass for applying to jobs.
If you get hired as a laborer working for a GC, that would be a good place to start learning the business and become one day a GC yourself...
Just pay attention and learn, or you will be a laborer until they will carry you off the job.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you get hired as a laborer working for a GC, that would be a good place to start learning the business and become one day a GC yourself...
Just pay attention and learn, or you will be a laborer until they will carry you off the job.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Agreed. Go ahead and do it. Looking for a job won't make you look like an ass. It might take a little experience before you have have a better feel for what you want to do and whom you want to work for - there are all kinds of GCs out there.

Good luck.

- Bob

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
If you like working with your hands and using your brain, then carpentry is a great profession. Keeps you active for sure. Go for it - 9-5 jobs SUCK :laughing:

there are all kinds of GCs out there
Some good and some are the biggest retards on the planet :laughing:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you like working with your hands and using your brain, then carpentry is a great profession. Keeps you active for sure. Go for it - 9-5 jobs SUCK :laughing:

Some good and some are the biggest retards on the planet :laughing:
And you might have to spend a day or two with one, or get past your first payday, before you know which kind you're dealing with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies! I am definitely a hands-on person. I will look into the laborer positions and hope that I can find a good crew to work with. Its a hit or miss in the construction field.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
hook up with a small Co. the smaller the better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts