Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone on this board is currently in the market of green renovation. I am currently a partner in a small company and provide carpentry work, among other fields. We could be classified as a handyman company on steroids.

I am trying to be more environmentally conscious and less harsh on my body and my employees. I wanted to know what kind of steps you took to change your company persona from 'construction' to 'green construction’. I also wanted to know if anyone has had experience buying out their own 'fix-flip' homes and renovating them green.

I currently have/work with 2 other full time workers and 2 part time workers.

I wanted to hear opinions from both people who have taken this step and from people who thought about this and choose not to move in this direction.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You say "green renovations" but that is a broad spectrum. I can install a green roof, but all "green" means is energy effecient. Is it a good move? Sure why not. Energy Effeciency is becoming the trend in most metropolitian areas. I know in the City of Chicago the city gives tax breaks and incentives to building owners for various types of "green" building.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe someone that specifically markets towards the "green" segment of the market. Or else anyone that actually purcahses their own project houses to renovate in with a "green thumb" and then sell.

I enjoy the business I'm in, but again, would like to have a better work enviornment. Also, it would be nice to not have to deal with as many customers, so the renovate and flip seems reasonable to myself.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I'm not so sure that targeting a narrow client pool like that wouldn't be akin to shooting yourslef in the foot. The only "green" I know is the color of money. I take it from anyone that is willing.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Green around here means much more than enegry efficient. The building products, how they effect the environment or effected the environment to harvest can make them green or not. Bamboo flooring can be considered green, but Oak is not.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Grumpy-

As Mike said- "green" means far more than just "energy efficient"- it's about doing the right thing for the environment and the building occupants.

Jason-

I'm a LEED Accredited Professional through the US Green Building Council, and the trend toward environmentally responsible building is catching on quickly. Unfortunately, at this point it's not mainstream enough that most folks would be willing to pay more for a green project. I look at it more as a "do the right thing" sort of thing than a "make money off of it" thing, so you've got to weigh that in the equation too.

Most of the funding for Green programs is through state and federal agencies. Here in NJ, there's a Green Building Program that'll provide funds for upgrades and green building practices. Take a look at your local/state agencies for any programs.

I wish you luck in your ventures- if there's any way I can be of assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Bob and Mike you are both probably right in the grand scheme of things, however for the sake of me being me "I beg to differ" I've no real argument I just feel like being an ass.

(If you didn't notice, this is my way of saying "I stand corrected.")

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
Jason said:
Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone on this board is currently in the market of green renovation. I am currently a partner in a small company and provide carpentry work, among other fields. We could be classified as a handyman company on steroids.

I am trying to be more environmentally conscious and less harsh on my body and my employees. I wanted to know what kind of steps you took to change your company persona from 'construction' to 'green construction’. I also wanted to know if anyone has had experience buying out their own 'fix-flip' homes and renovating them green.

I currently have/work with 2 other full time workers and 2 part time workers.

I wanted to hear opinions from both people who have taken this step and from people who thought about this and choose not to move in this direction.

Thanks.
We are an environmentally friendly painting contractor in Toronto.
What that means is, always thinking responsibly when decisions have to be made
about the choice of materials to use, the amount of materials ordered,
safe handling and recycling of solvents etc.
For a painting contractor there are more choices now than ever as most major manufacturers
offer a low polution line and the quality of water based paints is vastly improved.
We find lately that increasingly more people find our website using
search terms like eco-friendly painting, low VOC painting etc.
Some customers are very knowledgeable of what is in a can of paint and
want to have the final say on what paints will be used in their home,
and that of course is fine with us.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats for the encouragement.

I was just out in fort collins and started doing research on green building. I noticed that boulder had many green building companies. I ended up finding information about LEED-EB and thought it might be something to pursue.

The things I like about the type of movement is that it provides a safer atmosphere for myself and employees, the families whom I working for, and is a step in the right direction for a safer enviornment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts