Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start some renos on my house. What do you think about calling in other companies to get their ideas and estimates? I would of course have no intention of using them, but I would find it useful to see how others present themselves, how their pricing is, etc.
I'm sure I've been asked to do this over the years a thousand times, without me knowing it, but I am not sure if it's the right thing to do.
Opinions, please?

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I know I have been called out to do estimates for people who just want to know how to do it themselves and it is not right.

Do you not know anyone through business or friends who could come over (and yes, you should pay them something) to do a consultation?

Just because people have done it to you doesn't make it right to screw over someone else.

My truck got stolen out of my driveway a couple of years ago, do you think you'd mind if I came and stole yours?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've wanted at times to do this, but could never feel right about it. I had a situation where I did work for friends, and I really needed to know if my price was in line, but I never did it 9and I think I charged too little) There have been times when I'm not sure if I'm going to do something or sub it out, which usually means I end up subbing out, as there is always more work than meets the eye. However I've always been upfront with those doing the bidding, and in these tough times, they are willing to come anyway. I've had customers tell me the same thing.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Would this be a good "customer" to tell them you charge for estimates to see how legit about the project they really are?

I am sure I have done this numerous time for others but that doesnt make it right for me to do it. The furthest Ive gone is on a rain day to go on craiglist and email guys that say they are licensed and insured and tell them that before I even have them come out to give me an estimate, I would like their state license number just so I can get a gist of how many guys are licensed that claim they are. No one replies.

·
Banned
538 Posts
trying to say i'm a fool
no, i knew that you'd say that. i wasn't though. just one of my favorite ones.

"he who lives in glass house, should change in basement"

also to the OP, if you want an estimate, perhaps call up a few guys, tell them you arent planning on using them, and what they'd charge to come out and give you an estimate. that'd be the right way to do it IMO.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I do that over the phone sometimes just to get an idea on price and how they present themselves. But getting them to come out in person is pushing it too far.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I'm curious as to why any of us would have to know what someone else would charge to know how to set our own prices.

I suspect we are not asking "How much do I need to charge?" but rather, "How much can I get away with charging?"

Personally, I consider this kind of thinking a little questionable.

.......................... "There is an ocean of difference between morals and ethics."

Reactions: datrder
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.