Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's a tip I know you will benefit from.

Over the past 12 months our customers have gathered thousands of reviews on sites like Google, Yelp, Yahoo!, Yellowpages.com etc. Some of them are getting less than a 10% response rate while others are getting over 80% of their customers to respond.

What are the 80% doing differently?
It's all in how and when they ask for a review. Here's what we found works best.

1. Ask at the peak of your customer’s happiness with your service
  2. Let your customer know that you’re asking for a “favor”
  3. Let your customer know how long this will take
  4. Let your customer know how you benefit from their favor
  5. Ask if you can send them an email with a link to where they can review you. Provide a link to 3-5 review sites with directions in your email. Let them choose where they want to leave their review.
  6. Tell them that you’re looking forward to reading their review.

Script Example
I’d like to ask you a favor Dave.

Would you mind taking a few minutes to write a review for me please?

Your comments help others who are looking for a painting contractor learn about our business.

May I send you an email with a link to where you can review us (and we will never, ever share it with anyone) is that OK?

Thanks for offering to do this Dave, it means a lot to me. I’m looking forward to reading your comments.

·
Super Moderator
28,813 Posts
Im so far behind the times for a young guy.

The peak of their happiness should be the end.

I wouldn't ask for the testimonial if they didnt offer.

All WOM here. Dont know how long that will last, but it works well now. Hope it stays that way. It wont, but I wish it would. Rural vs urban.

·
GC/carpenter
43,854 Posts
I get most of my work due to great reviews. I have a 100% favorable review rate. I have customers who question it because there are no bad ones. So yes, reviews are huge for my business.

·
GC/carpenter
43,854 Posts
jpplumbing said:
how do you send them a link for reviews
My reviews come from vendors websites, the customers find me. Through web searches. I will get a call out of the blue (probably 3 or 4 a week) and they will say I found your number on the such and such website etc. then I set up a meeting and the rest is history. I stay really busy like this and spend zero on marketing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do you send them a link for reviews
We use the Five Star Review System which provides a page with links leading to all of the review sites. You can do this yourself however. All you need to do is include links to the sites where you want them to write a review. I would suggest links to the following sites.

Google
Yelp
Yahoo!
Angie's List
Citysearch

1,183 Posts
I've been trying to ge reviews fromcustomers to google for sometime. Most do not make it because my customers hate the google process and have told me so. Also google randomly removes reviews that were once posted are now gone. Yahoo is much easier and yelp is ok if the reviewer is a frequent reviewer on yelp otherwise its a PITA.

I have a email setup to my customers after every job and a print out i stuff into a hand weitten thanmk you card showing them how to go online and leave a review on the big three. It's still a tough sell. People like things that are easy and quick , some will spend the time and patience to leave a review most will not.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,643 Posts
Maybe I could ask the customer if I can write it for them as well... Reviews should be done organically and naturally. I don't send links anymore and never offer instruction because that is a sign of desperation.

During conversation, I will mention a possible review and name a site or two like yelp, insider pages etc... I also add that I'm not a huge corporation with a survey system so local reviews are the best way for me to obtain feedback. Most will do the search and review while I'm on the last day of the job. The ones that do not leave reviews imo is just a situation where they don't want to enter any more info on the internet then they have to + knowing that they will get a slew of junk emails and offers.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
You have to make as easy as possible for them, perhaps giving some quick instruction on how they can show their appreciation for a good job.
You just going to dig up every dated seo thread in the forum and offer generic responses? What's the end game brother?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts