Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I still have quite a bit of work booked up, but for the next 4 weeks or so I am finishing up my outside work. I use to always finish up by end of Oct but this year I was running a little behind

Nights are starting to dip down in the 20's and days averaging only in the 30-40's. Getting wicked cold up here. Its gonna be a long month cause its only gonna get colder!

Is it almost MAY? :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
We generally work outside the entire winter. For whatever reason, our slow periods usually happen in the Spring. The few inside jobs we get tend to come during nicer weather also. Winter happens. Deal with it!

·
Registered
Remodel
30,196 Posts
Nothing like dreading the long, cold, dark winter. I'll be wearing my headlamp just about non-stop pretty soon. Still 10 degrees warmer here than where the OP is.

I feel better off than the Canadians, though:laughing:

·
Punching above his weight
11,495 Posts
Struggling to finish a last bit of painting. There's a prime 3 hours from about 10:45 to 1:45 where paint will actually dry.
One more day on Monday and I think that will be it... hopefully.

If it will make you feel better, I have a cousin works in the oil fields in Wyoming. He said they give you the day off it it his -30. I asked why even bother at -30 if you're working at -25? He said because oil won't pump at -30, it has nothing to do with your well being.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The cold isn't the problem....it's having to use your fingers that's a PITA. Still waiting for someone to invent carpenter's mittens.....

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,022 Posts
We'll work down to - 35 C before the equipment starts to freeze. It's not the cold or snow that'll get you, it's the wind. I was trying to replace some batteries in a wall mounted garage door opener in -38 with a windchill of - 45. The only exposed skin I had was my eyes. I had to take off one glove to pop the batteries in. I regretted that. Hand went numb and as soon as I went inside and warmed it up it HURT like a mofo. I have a love-hate relationship with Canadian winters. I have friends going down to Arizona for the winter. Lucky buggers.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,397 Posts
Ya, been getting to the low 60's in my shop lately. Gonna have to turn on the artificial propane sun soon.

·
Artist and not a curator
13,538 Posts
Yep, we got that cold snap all the way down to 75 during the past 2 days 65 at night:eek:

In Florida the inside jobs start in may and end in October.

·
GC/carpenter
43,613 Posts
Deckhead said:
Yep, we got that cold snap all the way down to 75 during the past 2 days 65 at night:eek: In Florida the inside jobs start in may and end in October.
We have all our windows open and I'm wearing shorts. This is exactly why I don't move. I can build decks year around in shorts. I hate bad weather.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive got 2 more years of cold Maine weather then the wife and I are heading south!
Its almost all we think about, Can't wait.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ive got 2 more years of cold Maine weather then the wife and I are heading south!
Its almost all we think about, Can't wait.
its definitely warmer here in Miami , it hit 68 last night, coldest temp yet.
but you`ll hate the heat and humidity too.
in summer , i bring 3 shirts , and sometimes an extra pair of shorts , because i sweat , and drench all the way through , i look like i pee`d my pants by lunch.

i just don`t know how you do it up there in that cold .:blink:

is true you have to keep caulking , and chemicals in coolers to keep them from freezing?
someone told me some guys have vans fully insulated to keep everything from freezing.
true?

·
Always Learning
8,680 Posts
The cold doesn't bother me...the windy wet cold does! We should be inside by December, which will be perfect!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,397 Posts
Can't help it if you don't have all your marbles up there.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,397 Posts
He'll just fill the holes with his unused marbles :laughing:

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,022 Posts
It snowed last night. I forgot to put a tarp over the back of the truck and now all the tools are covered.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts