Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first tip might be carpentry 101, but I just worked with carpenter with a decade of experience who didn't know it, so just in case--here it is. The easiest way to find the center of a square is to just find the intersection of the two diagonals... no measuring required:

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After I found the center of these blocks, I drilled a pilot hole there with the drill press to get nice vertical holes. I then ran a screw through a board (my circle cutting jig) into the centered pilot hole. I spun the block through the bandsaw blade to get my circle and then repeated the circle spinning at the spindle sander.

Attachments

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
I use that trick all the time in my drafting class to center a drawing on my paper before i start...my instructor/architect asked me one day when he saw me drawing an X on my paper why I was doing that and I told him it was a quick way to find the center of any rectangle...he didn't seem too familiar with that idea...:whistling

·
Registered
967 Posts
I
use that trick all the time in my drafting class to center a drawing on my paper before i start...my instructor/architect asked me one day when he saw me drawing an X on my paper why I was doing that and I told him it was a quick way to find the center of any rectangle...he didn't seem too familiar with that idea...:whistling
Drawing?:confused1: Paper?:confused1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts