Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get a 1-terabyte external drive for $69.99
Holy ridiculously cheap storage, Batman! Buy.com has a Fantom G-Force 1-terabyte external hard drive for $69.99 shipped.
The catch? Yep, you guessed it: There's a $20 mail-in rebate [PDF]. I know that's a deal-breaker for some, but even in the unlikely event you get the short end of the rebate stick, $89.99's a pretty awesome price, too.
As for the drive itself, it features USB 2.0 and eSATA interfaces, Mac and Windows compatibility, and a one-year warranty. Fantom bundles no backup software to speak of, but there are plenty of great freeware backup utilities out there.
CNET hasn't reviewed the drive, but it averages 4.5 stars out of 5--from a whopping 342 users--on Buy.com's product page.
If you don't mind waiting a month or two on those 20 rebate dollars (the offer expires Aug. 23), this is the best deal yet on a 1TB external hard drive.
:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thats a good price but i'm saving my pennies for a nice RAID NAS nice and fast without worring about loosing your files.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got 2 WD 1TB at best buy for 90.00ea. the one i use for movies is about half full, but the one i use to back-up company data might be at like 2% 8 or 9 thousand files...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got 2 WD 1TB at best buy for 90.00ea. the one i use for movies is about half full, but the one i use to back-up company data might be at like 2% 8 or 9 thousand files...
Even with contracts composed with "fine print" that protects my company from just about everything ( my son has a Jurist Doctor now, but knows the businesss as he worked for me for over 10 years) would not even fill an 80 gigabyte external drive. The terser the wording the easier it is to protect from sociopathic (and or obsessive and over demanding customers expecting more than the negotiations and contract allows).

One must be clear and demand that the customer understands the jargon of contracting, by letting them have plenty of time to read the contract and ask questions and ask for clarifications ect. Make sure to explain that the price is contingent upon ordinary or customary construction of the edifice in question.

If the repair/remodeling runs into "twilight zone" circumstances then the price goes into the non contractual arena of extra cost-- "labor/material/profit" mode-- for that portion of the job.

Cost overruns must be pre- approved; or if one is at fault-- EATEN-- a very simple strategy to make sure that one is clear in one's contract.

When I have to eat labor and material due to my fault I call it "Going to school", as it is a valuable learning experience!!

When my crew askes if we are going to work , I say not today ,we are going to "school", --they understand that I messed up somewhere.

One terabyte would be overkill in my situation as my lawyer/book-keeper believes in short and sweet language, but I imagine that in other jurisdictions one might in fact need that much especially if Legal, Architectural, Engineering, Insurance/Bonding, Independent Inspection or Construction Oversight (Superintendent oversight), and Permit/politicking [yes, greasing of palms] have to be recorded and saved ( on the IRS forms these costs are listed simply as permit fees!!).

The price seems reasonable as it will be a business expense and deducted from gross revenues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts