Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Have you used edge gold? Basically direct competition of advantech. Just another option but like you said it's still osb.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not. The contractor that I often work for does not like any form of osb on the floor or roof. He just doesn't like the look of it, or the rapid deterioration when exposed to water. He did use the Advantec once, and liked the water resistance, but still had complaints from the flooring guys. Most of the time, he uses a Doug Fir T&G, and has us water seal it after install. It just seems that recently the plywood quality has come down and even after sealing it we still have delaminations due to weather.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I've had similar results to Kent with Southern Yellow Pine plywood.

I remember many years ago, the sheets were actually sewn together, which seems to have been an attempt to keep them together. I'm not sure if that's still the case, because I stay far away from anything but fir plywood or OSB.

For whatever reason, I've witnessed the decline in quality of plywood and these days actually prefer OSB under most circumstances.

Advantech is a great product IMO. We've used their flooring and sheathing products. The flooring is sanded, the sheathing is not and offers better traction on sloped planes.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
I use it on all my subfloors . The coating on product really works to keep water out . Osb is garbage period for over exposure and everything else in my book .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts