Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am registered to take my test for residential light construction in December. I have 25 years construction experience in the Atlanta area. There are an abundance of companies offering seminars and study material to prep for the test. Can anyone give me any practical advice on the best way to prepare since these services are not cheap, and I don't want to guess wrong here. Thanks.

·
David
50 Posts
The class offered by American Contractors Exam Services was good. I passed the General Contractor exam in June 2008, before they could get feedback about the questions that might be on the exam. They probably have a better idea of the questions now.

We highlighted our books, which was very helpful during the exam. There were many people that needed help with basic construction math and estimating. This took up too much time.

Advice? Highlight and tab your books as instructed. Don't spend time memorizing information. Almost everything is found in the books. Understand where to find the information quickly.

Good Luck!

·
David
50 Posts
The books are +/- $750. The class is $490.00. Check out the Georgia section of examprep.org. Their website does a good job summarizing the costs and licensing requirements.

You may take the 2-day class more than once prior to the test. I sat through it twice. The first time, I was busy taking notes and highlighting my books. The second time I focused on was was being presented and finding information in my books.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi David. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have one more question for you, please. Do you think it's possible to pass the test without the seminar? Is it feasible to get the books and familiarize yourself with them enough to be able to finish the exam in the alloted time for someone with over 20 years experience? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and fork over the dough ? And do you need all the books for the test? If it seems like I'm sounding cheap and trying to cut corners - Well I am somewhat cheap and business is slow, but I want to do it right and pass the first time. Thanks again, Ed

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Hi David. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have one more question for you, please. Do you think it's possible to pass the test without the seminar? Is it feasible to get the books and familiarize yourself with them enough to be able to finish the exam in the alloted time for someone with over 20 years experience? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and fork over the dough ? And do you need all the books for the test? If it seems like I'm sounding cheap and trying to cut corners - Well I am somewhat cheap and business is slow, but I want to do it right and pass the first time. Thanks again, Ed
$490 for the prep class is very inexpensive, if you take the test and fail it, how much will you really save?

I have taken 3 Certified Contractors exams in Florida and passed each one of them on the 1st attempt, the last one was Plumbing and about 32% of the people who take it pass it on the 1st atempt.

I have taken prep classes for each of my contractors exams, and it helps, the classes were quite a bit more than $490.

You would probably be better off and save money in the long run taking a prep class, passing the test and getting your license sooner, rather than later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bwalley, Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that would be the way to go. I don't want to screw around and have take the test again, but I have heard of some prep seminars, etc. that weren't very good. Thanks for the input

·
David
50 Posts
$490 for the prep class is very inexpensive, if you take the test and fail it, how much will you really save?

I have taken 3 Certified Contractors exams in Florida and passed each one of them on the 1st attempt, the last one was Plumbing and about 32% of the people who take it pass it on the 1st atempt.

I have taken prep classes for each of my contractors exams, and it helps, the classes were quite a bit more than $490.

You would probably be better off and save money in the long run taking a prep class, passing the test and getting your license sooner, rather than later.

Ed:

Ditto what bwalley said.

I work for a small national general contractor, so I’ve been asked to take approximately ten GC licensing exams. Even with my degree, and twenty years of experience, I don’t think I could have gone in blind and passed each one on the first try. I took an exam preparation class every time. In my opinion, Georgia was second toughest exam (after Florida GC) and the only one where I felt pressed for time.

You experience will help, but the test are written by guys that don’t have a background in construction. They simply write questions by looking through the reference books. The test measures your ability to look up information, not your knowledge of construction. Just give the answer in the book. Guys always waste class time arguing about answers and “how it’s done in the field.” These are the people that failed the first time. Remember, your not there to learn how to build buildings, you’re only there to learn to pass a test.

Yes, you could pass without the class but you would have to study for months. I'm cheap too but $490.00 will save you months of time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Your first hand input is exactly what I was hoping for to make the best decision on my time and money. I have scheduled my test for mid Dec. and my prep class two weeks before. Hopefully that will give me enough time to prepare. Thanks again for the advice. Ed

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I think the most important point to understand is that you will have to become VERY familiar with all your books. You cannot afford the time to figure out where to look or how to use a certain chart or table. This will kill your chances of passing.

If your books aren't second nature to you, all the field experience in the world won't help much. This is a BOOK exam, not a practical test of construction skills.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ga Test

willie T u r so right I have just returned from the test last week in macon, nad anyone who FYI georgia is nnot easy get to know your book (CODES) and how to find the reference (answer) and the business law exam is the by far easiest part:thumbsup: a lot of out of state contractors are taking this test and going home(North carolina) I met (2) that have to return for a re-test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts