Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to lay out an 18" sitting wall that would butt to two 24" piers. I thought I layed it out for 3" reveal on each corner of the pier. Surprise, because the piers are not parallel to the radius I do not end up with my 3" reveal on the inside corner.
This would really look bad especially when the radius bluestone cap goes on.
We're going to change the sitting wall to 16". At that point I can blend the last bit of the wall into the pier.

Glad we caught it early. This is why I'm a nut about layout.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
i dont understand "butt in-to" "3 in reveal"
is it that the footing doesn't run "square" into the pier?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But because of the angle of pier the wall would actually run to the corner with no reveal.
Sorry for the confusion, it is a bit harder to describe than I thought.
I'll make a drawing when I get home.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
But because of the angle of pier the wall would actually run to the corner with no reveal.
Sorry for the confusion, it is a bit harder to describe than I thought.
I'll make a drawing when I get home.
Perfectly clear to me!
You assumed it would be a square to tangent dimension, & hence the 18" dim, but in fact it's an odd intersection angle.

A 24" clmn minus an 18" curve wall = 6".... div by 2 = 3" reveal each side. The problem is that is a bstd intersection.
Intersecting curves and straight wall can be tricky at times.
Joe

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Perfectly clear to me!
You assumed it would be a square to tangent dimension, & hence the 18" dim, but in fact it's an odd intersection angle.

A 24" clmn minus an 18" curve wall = 6".... div by 2 = 3" reveal each side. The problem is that is a bstd intersection.
Intersecting curves and straight wall can be tricky at times.
Joe

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
It's just basic geometry...not quantum mechanics, but I get the rub! :laughing:

Sometimes the simplest way to describe something is to just use the proper terms.

I don't even know where I'm posting, & didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers.

Carpenters typically have to deal with trig on occasion, probably more so than Masons.;)

BTW,
My dad was a German imigrant, life long mason.:thumbsup:
Joe

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,105 Posts
Geometry is an important part of the bricklaying apprenticeship.
A pair of dividers and a beam compass are useful tools for curved work and arches.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Yeah, I'm a big believer in geometry knowledge as well. So long as I have a benchmark i can layout just about anything with string and a tape measure (really don't even need the tape measure) Well I guess I'd need a couple books as well cause no way I can remember all those equations

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I believe that any mason can benifit from a study of geometry...Vitruvius, Da'vinci, Cathedrals, Scared Geometry, that kinda thing. Heck, there are even fraternal orders out there who are named after what we do, who seem to be all about geometry.
What... no iPhone? :thumbsup::laughing:

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Huh. I always wondered what that stick with all the lines on it was called.......
:eek:fftopic:I just noticed your profile picture... I was just there and took a snap shot of that building designed by Antonio Gaudi... that is some cool architecture :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts