Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the roofers we are happy to be associated with sent me the pictures of a geodesic dome he's working on. The shingles are PRS aluminum shingles, and the flashings at the joints between sections were custom designed to prevent water entry, or damage by sliding snow. The structure is located on top of a mountain in Vermont, and the site is not very accessible, so the owner wanted a covering that was maintenance-free, wind-proof, rain-proof and snow-proof.

HTML:
[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/211492649/211492649vQwGUN[/url]

·
Registered
174 Posts
I notice they are using full coverage Grace Ice & Water Shield. I hope they have a good vapor retarder behind their drywall.....there is no good way to ventilate these domes, the headers crossing the rafters have to be solid for deck nailing = no ventillation. I have seen guys try to birdhole these headers, but I think the insulation then gets in the way.
IMHO,
Jim

G

·
jmorgan said:
I notice they are using full coverage Grace Ice & Water Shield. I hope they have a good vapor retarder behind their drywall.....there is no good way to ventilate these domes, the headers crossing the rafters have to be solid for deck nailing = no ventillation. I have seen guys try to birdhole these headers, but I think the insulation then gets in the way.
IMHO,
Jim

You know, after looking at that dome .. I would rather have it then what the builder did for me! see it at: www.microfilmplus.com/house.html

Ben

·
Idosidejobs
127 Posts
Hmmmm

since the dome is made up of triangles...not sqs...do you charge by the Triangled Ft :whistling :laughing:

Nice but I would hate to work on that.:help:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts