Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this material. I typically use Azek or TT XLM, but I have a client who plucked this stuff off a website and was intrigued by the wood grain options. It appears to be hollow PVC T&G with webbing - lighter in weight and I would guess absorbs a lot less heat. This would be for a 900 SF deck in Maryland on the waterfront. The product is sold as Genovations Decking and the company claims to have bee in business since 1962.

Would appreciate the pros and cons of this product. Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers
NB

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
Looked at it... not a fan.
Don't like the shiny surface, and never been a fan of T&G products for uncovered exterior applications. At least in my area you're asking for issues with debris clogging up the weep holes and ice build-up.

HTH,
~Matt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you that replied. I was able to make a convincing argument against this product and am going forward with Azek.

Cheers,
NB

·
Registered
438 Posts
Whenever a client requests a new product, I ask them if they want to be the guinea pig (in a nice way!). I was one of the few deck builders in my area who didn't jump on the Trex bandwagon when it first came out. And boy am I glad!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would not shy away from the Genova product at all. I have been using it for the better part of a year now and I am impressed. Laying this stuff down is so easy. It looks great and I have had no issues with it. I've done about 25 or so decks with it and have only had one call back and that was due to something one of my guys did incorrectly. As long as you install this stuff right you can't go wrong. By the way, the price on this stuff is so much better than Azek so you can get away with charging your customer what you would for Azek and make a little more money especially since it goes down quicker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Geez, I guess nobody wants to hear from someone who has actually installed the product. I happened to be searching the internet today and came across this forum and read what was being said and felt compelled to add my $.02 worth. Thanks for making me feel welcome. For what its worth I also use TimberTech and have installed Azek as well. I prefer TimberTech over Azek because I can install it faster. I use the Tiger Claw install gun so I don't have to hand drive every single clip. When I use Azek I don't have that luxury and I don't like the Quickdrive system because the screws mushroom and it looks like crap.

·
YUUUUP!
1,054 Posts
Don't take it the wrong way, this forum gets alot of spammers, one time posters, etc. So we will see if you will be sticking around.. :thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,574 Posts
Sorry MidWest, the guys are used to seeing spam that looks pretty similar to your glowing testimonial. Stick around, let your hair down a bit, and they'll let you off with a mild hazing.

Unless you really are a spammer. :laughing:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry MidWest, the guys are used to seeing spam that looks pretty similar to your glowing testimonial. Stick around, let your hair down a bit, and they'll let you off with a mild hazing.

Unless you really are a spammer. :laughing:
I'll take the hazing. Like your name tinstaafl (there is no such thing as a free lunch).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
More reason why when someone says " I want ..." I usually respond with "No, you don't, you want ..." I then go into explaining the difference between the brands, the pluses and minuses of them and how they perform in our environment.
5-6 years ago I had a client who heard about a particular composite product and insisted we use it even though I tried to talk him out of it. I built the frame and installed the decking, but he bought the decking. It was awful stuff, and 8 months later he called me up to replace it with cedar. It twisted, shrunk, warped and discoloured, and the company he bought it from was already out of business.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts