Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who wants a whole house generator but here's the catch. They have a 300 amp switchgear that feeds a GE Zenith automatic transfer switch than off that to two 200 amp panels. They also have 3 dimming panels which are by vantage controls. Very custom house with elevator, heated driveway and all. Well I been researching this project a lot and another contractor buddy told me generators will make the dimming panels act funny cause of the 7th 9th and 11th harmonics. Guess they can make the lights flicker and even destroy the generator. It looks like I can get a 60 or 70k cummins which is as close as you can get to utility power. They have between 3 and 5% frequency at full load and the 70k has .25% thd or total harmonic distortion which seems like the better way to go. Has any one ever ran into this situation with dimming systems?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
I see you've gotten no responses to this.

I think it's a bit over the heads of most of the general population here. :laughing:

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the dimming panel? I know Lutron and Leviton both make them.

Also, don't know if you're familiar with Mike Holt, but over there are some of the brightest minds in the industry. :thumbsup:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
Oh, the other thing.....

Have you looked into adding filters to the GenSet, to correct THD?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks seven-delta for replying lol. Yes I called the manufacture of the system and they don't have a clue. I even contacted generac twice and got different answers both times lol. Seems like nobody knows the correct answer. I will try mike holts forum. I'm a member there but don't remember my name and password lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts