Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an interlock kit on a generator backup? I'm looking at $500 for a 200a manual switch or $45 for an interlock. Would you install one of these (interlock) on your mother's house?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the interlock it looks like you have 2 options. Start the generator under load or start it with the main on. A manual switch has an off position for generator start up. The alternative would be to turn off all the breakers before starting the generator. I like making these set ups as homeowner proof as possible and having them turning breakers on and off doesn't sound like a good idea.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Then go with the ATS.
X2, your average 6-10 circuit manual transfer switch will cost at $200 around here. I havent checked recently but you use to be able to buy an ATS from guardian for $400. Sure its twice the money but it is automatic, all the HO has to do is start the generator and shut it off. With a little time and effort you culd hook the generator up so it auto starts/stops too.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
X2, your average 6-10 circuit manual transfer switch will cost at $200 around here. I havent checked recently but you use to be able to buy an ATS from guardian for $400. Sure its twice the money but it is automatic, all the HO has to do is start the generator and shut it off. With a little time and effort you culd hook the generator up so it auto starts/stops too.

If you're getting a pad-mount genny, many transfer switches will automatically start & stop the genny, as well as switch over. Over-voltage, under-voltage, dips, swell, sags, brown-outs, loss of one line, etc. all can be covered with a good ATS.

There are also 'excersice' clocks in them, meaning they fire up the genny once a week (without switching over) and run it for a half an hour to 'maintain' the engine and make sure it will start when needed.

IMPO, padmounts on an ATS tied to the house's LP or NG line is the only way to go.

·
ampman
783 Posts
If you're getting a pad-mount genny, many transfer switches will automatically start & stop the genny, as well as switch over. Over-voltage, under-voltage, dips, swell, sags, brown-outs, loss of one line, etc. all can be covered with a good ATS.

There are also 'excersice' clocks in them, meaning they fire up the genny once a week (without switching over) and run it for a half an hour to 'maintain' the engine and make sure it will start when needed.

IMPO, padmounts on an ATS tied to the house's LP or NG line is the only way to go.
agreed an ats is what is best ,also LP has a longer shelf life than diesel or gas

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I agree with both of yah, i was just assuming the customer wanted to use their own existing generator and needed just a transfer switch. I have installed quite a few of the Guardians and am now a dealer, i also have a 7k at each of my homes and they work awesome for the money. I have also found through installations that the 7-8k's tend to be more reliable than the larger units.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts