Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking it would be nice to have a generator on the jobsite in case of power outs. I would like to run 4- 20 20 amp single pole breakers and maybe 2- 50 amp double pole breakers. How many watt generator do I need or is it better to just buy a welder with a gas/diesel motor that could handle that ?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
4,905 Posts
50A at 240V is 12Kw.

Highly unlikely they would both be running at full power, but I don't know what you are planning to run with it.

is that 4 20A, or 20 20A, receptacles? :eek:

10-12Kw portable genny could probably run most sites with high power consumption. With all the cordless tools, there is less need for 120V power on sites these days.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Any commercial, and most residential buildings would go faster/ cheaper with ample 240/120 Volt generator power if the Electrical sub can't or won't perform their contractual duties, IMHO

I can't think of one power tool that the plug in version isn't more productive and cheaper per hour than it's battery power replacement tool(s)

Until the Power grid is freed from Greenista demands it will get evermore unreliable, thus favoring generators installed in most up scale builds, as home owners want light and heat on demand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any commercial, and most residential buildings would go faster/ cheaper with ample 240/120 Volt generator power if the Electrical sub can't or won't perform their contractual duties, IMHO

I can't think of one power tool that the plug in version isn't more productive and cheaper per hour than it's battery power replacement tool(s)

Until the Power grid is freed from Greenista demands it will get evermore unreliable, thus favoring generators installed in most up scale builds, as home owners want light and heat on demand.
I was just think during the construction phase, to have backup power and keep the boys working

·
Registered
127 Posts
If all you need is a generator ... no need for a welder ... why would you pay for that feature, and have one more thing to go bad. Keep it simple, get a dedicated genset.

·
GC/carpenter
40,539 Posts

There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin!

Mike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the help, you are right ? I am going to buy the welder.

Did anyone notice that no one told me to buy the welder !!!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Better an A.I then an Natural Fool......:jester:

You CAN build with very expensive battery powered tools, But if making money, and providing the least cost, Quality building is your vocation, why would use mostly short lived, under powered $$$ battery tools???

Irrational ideas persist in Herds......:whistling, enjoy the journey to the packing House.:blink:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts

You CAN build with very expensive battery powered tools, But if making money, and providing the least cost, Quality building is your vocation, why would use mostly short lived, under powered $$$ battery tools???

Irrational ideas persist in Herds......:whistling, enjoy the journey to the packing House.:blink:
Not to get too off topic, but cordless has speeded up every step in my work.

It isn't very awesome to drag multiple cords under a house, or into an attic for three cuts. Or have cords all over a roof.

Many times, I grab a tool and use it because I don't have to get cords and hoses.

My cordless narrow crown is used a lot just to temp fasten stuff. I would never use it if it had a hose attached.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
how often do you have the need for a welder on site?

any site welding i needed done had to be by a welder with certs.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts

Your results may vary.

I have been making much better money in the last 5-10 years, and also have gone almost completely cordless. Coincidence? I think not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts