Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Generator or Welder

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Half-fast Eddie 
#1 ·
I was thinking it would be nice to have a generator on the jobsite in case of power outs. I would like to run 4- 20 20 amp single pole breakers and maybe 2- 50 amp double pole breakers. How many watt generator do I need or is it better to just buy a welder with a gas/diesel motor that could handle that ?

#2 ·
50A at 240V is 12Kw.

Highly unlikely they would both be running at full power, but I don't know what you are planning to run with it.

is that 4 20A, or 20 20A, receptacles? :eek:

10-12Kw portable genny could probably run most sites with high power consumption. With all the cordless tools, there is less need for 120V power on sites these days.

#3 ·
Any commercial, and most residential buildings would go faster/ cheaper with ample 240/120 Volt generator power if the Electrical sub can't or won't perform their contractual duties, IMHO

I can't think of one power tool that the plug in version isn't more productive and cheaper per hour than it's battery power replacement tool(s)

Until the Power grid is freed from Greenista demands it will get evermore unreliable, thus favoring generators installed in most up scale builds, as home owners want light and heat on demand.

#9 ·
Better an A.I then an Natural Fool......:jester:

You CAN build with very expensive battery powered tools, But if making money, and providing the least cost, Quality building is your vocation, why would use mostly short lived, under powered $$$ battery tools???

Irrational ideas persist in Herds......:whistling, enjoy the journey to the packing House.:blink:

#11 ·
Better an A.I then an Natural Fool......:jester:

You CAN build with very expensive battery powered tools, But if making money, and providing the least cost, Quality building is your vocation, why would use mostly short lived, under powered $$$ battery tools???

Irrational ideas persist in Herds......:whistling, enjoy the journey to the packing House.:blink:
Not to get too off topic, but cordless has speeded up every step in my work.

It isn't very awesome to drag multiple cords under a house, or into an attic for three cuts. Or have cords all over a roof.

Many times, I grab a tool and use it because I don't have to get cords and hoses.

My cordless narrow crown is used a lot just to temp fasten stuff. I would never use it if it had a hose attached.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
Had the same issue, solved now; thanks for this thread. Becoming a certified welder was preceded by many interesting jobs, helping my dad gain experience. Helped a lot. So we had this job, needed to weld a huge gate at a house in the countryside. The house was newly built and no power connected. So we had the same problem. We needed a generator but had no idea which one to buy. I brought the welder along to the store, and the seller could pick the generator with the necessary voltage.

#20 · (Edited)
I once had a talk with some electrical contractors, and they explained why the welder would be my go-to option in the best way possible. One of the biggest advantages you could see out of a welder generator is that it can be used as a stand-alone generator. This is very comfortable. It saves you a lot of space, not about money, but you don't also hassle running two separate machines. So when you aren't using the welder for welding, you can use the power it generates for work lights, in case needed - emergency power, or even run power tools. So I do think that you chose a good option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.