Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I every one am new to this forum and need some help in finding a good online program or training school for general contractors with a certificate or diploma program.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum.The only GC school I know of is the school of hard knocks.Business classes or construction classes at a community college may help but the best way I have found is in the field.
Tell us what your experience is?

·
Banned
5 Posts
I know an online program sounds appealing (and cheaper), but you'd probably be better off finding a trade school or community college in your area. See if any contractors need a hand. On-site experience from an expert/professional is the best way to go

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've worked hands on in construction full time since I was 17. I worked part time before that. I have a four year degree in construction management. I have an OSHA 10 and 30 hour training certificates. I have a green building certificate from the National Associations of Homebuilders. I have competent person training for excavation supervision. I have aerial lift training and certificates. I have powder actuated nailer licenses. I have a state issued builder's license.

There is no shortcut to being a good general contractor. I work hard towards my career, and continue to take classes and learn everything I can. If you want to be a successful general contractor in my opinion the very least you can do is work for someone else for at least 5 years and take some business classes. Business law, accounting, writing would be on the top of the list.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I've worked hands on in construction full time since I was 17. I worked part time before that. I have a four year degree in construction management. I have an OSHA 10 and 30 hour training certificates. I have a green building certificate from the National Associations of Homebuilders. I have competent person training for excavation supervision. I have aerial lift training and certificates. I have powder actuated nailer licenses. I have a state issued builder's license.

There is no shortcut to being a good general contractor. I work hard towards my career, and continue to take classes and learn everything I can. If you want to be a successful general contractor in my opinion the very least you can do is work for someone else for at least 5 years and take some business classes. Business law, accounting, writing would be on the top of the list.

Good luck to you.
good sound advise, there are no short cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
you'd probably be better off finding a trade school or community college in your area
'

I agree 100%:thumbsup:

Take a course in construction management. That is the most important skill that a GC needs yet it is the one skill that most GC's are lacking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts