Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's odd. . . well to me. . . is the county said I don't need any special license to do remodels as a general contractor. But I have seen trucks for people that do what I do, and they have the "licensed, bonded, insured" on the side with thier signage. So am I right to assume they are either licensed in some other field? Or are they just BS'ing people?

·
Registered
83 Posts
They may have some kind of 'licence', maybe a licenced plumber/electrician, and I'm sure they are bonded and insured. If you have an insurance agent, they will get you bonded.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jason said:
They may have some kind of 'licence', maybe a licenced plumber/electrician, and I'm sure they are bonded and insured. If you have an insurance agent, they will get you bonded.
I was thinking the same thing. I figured they were licensed as elec, HVAC, plumber, etc. Bonded and insured is no problem for me. Got that covered. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its the same here in ohio. You dont need a license to be a remodel contractor. I think those people who have licensed and bonded and insured probably hold liceses in other area's.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
We're talking Kentucky here, next door to TN, VA, WVA, IN, IL, MO, OH.
Cut some trees, throw up some walls and call it home.
I'm not supposed to be faciecious but given what has gone on here lately, I have to run with it. Excuse me if I find it funny.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you think thats funny , pennsylvania had no building code until 2004. Also new york has a code whos enforcement is left to judgement of local building dept.,some only inspect newconstruction or additions,for replacement of existing construction no permit required.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As a painting contractor I was told the same thing by my county. Turns out many of the towns have licensing requirements. You may need to check with the individual city zoning offices.

Jim Bunton

1 - 14 of 14 Posts