Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is a contractors site and we always discuss the latest drills, batteries, saws, nailers etc...but I think everyone out there owns some type of ratchet, socket set, wrench etc. You guys have any info about Gear Wrench? I was looking at Matcos site and noticed when zooming into the photos they were gear wrench tools. On the other hand I was told they are an off brand of craftsman tools...basically they seem to be pretty high priced for the amount of pieces you get in whatever style tool set you need but are they worth that money cuz they are a good brand/company or not?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See I've heard they're crap and I've heard they beat snap on. I have a set of their vortex sockets sitting here and debating if I should start using them or get my money back? I generally build 1 custom motorcycle a year using craftsman, ingersol and some husky mechanics tools. Was hoping gear wrench would be an upgrade?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I use and abuse my metric gear wrench set. I highly recomend the ones with the pivot on the box end. What I like more about the gearwrench than some of the others is the gear wrench seems to have thiner walls around the ratcheting end so you can use them in more places. I liked the metric set so much I bought a SAE set.

If I was buying now I woudl get the cross wrench

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Back when they first came out I bought a set as I was in the auto body industry at the time. The true "Gear Wrench" brand ones are the ones I bought from the tool truck. Paid some thing like $400 for SAE and metric full set. They have been through hell many many years of hard use. Never had a problem with them. I would highly recomend the old one. Since they have gotten popular I have noticed they are shaped a little different, I don't have any of the newer ones so I can't coment on those. Mine are pushing 15 years old.
Cole

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have many of them, never broken one. Good tools , made in Taiwan , Lifetime warranty, Sears will replace them if the carry the tool. The pass thru sockets/extensions are very useful, as well as the swivel combo wrenches. They on sale for 1/2 at sears often.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The Gearwrench brand is very good. I've got metric and american and they're awesome. I wouldn't get the reversible ones though, the ones w/ the little clicker that you can change directions w/. Those are more likely to break.

·
I like Green things
23,016 Posts
The Gearwrench brand is very good. I've got metric and american and they're awesome. I wouldn't get the reversible ones though, the ones w/ the little clicker that you can change directions w/. Those are more likely to break.
The one ways have the issue of running a bolt/nut out and it hits something and then the bolt/nut and wrench are all rendered useless. Only way to fix that is with a torch or sawzall.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The taiwan thing is what made me nervous about getting them. I have a crap load of craftsman sockets and wrenches (no complaints), was just looking to get some sae/metric hex ball and star sockets cuz they offered a better overall set. Lifetime warranty is good but dont know if I can get over the taiwan thing, never had anything decent that had that marking on it

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Taiwan actually puts out a lot of good tools now.

It's not really about where they are made, it's how good the standards are.

I used to be a lead tech in an autobody shop. I had the metric set one-ways and LOVED them. I used them hard and they never gave me a problem. I would soak them in ATF every once and while to keep them ratching butter smooth. Everynow and then if I applied too much torque to them, they would lock up and not ratchet, but a swift "love tap" on something hard like the floor or a frame rail would jar it loose.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The one ways have the issue of running a bolt/nut out and it hits something and then the bolt/nut and wrench are all rendered useless. Only way to fix that is with a torch or sawzall.
I think I'd drop the wrench back down the shaft of the bolt and use another wrench before cutting anything.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I love my Gear Wrench tools. I just bought my son a set I found on sale at ACE. I am not a big wrench head, but I used to manage a small trucking firm and we had a guy who could fix anything. He loved the gear wrench for all the small work.

Once you get up into 3/4 bolts and bigger, you are looking at something else, but the typical half and 9/16 are really useful. They have a really tight ratchet. You can often get a nut moving in really tight quarters where craftsman needs more room. I would love to find an 8" extension for the pass through ratchet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Taiwan actually puts out a lot of good tools now.

It's not really about where they are made, it's how good the standards are.
Yeah I know what you mean...as long as they are following company specs any tool can be built in taiwan to the same standards. Its just that name that bugs me when it comes to tools.

Well, they are just hex ball sockets and star sockets...with all the good things I have heard about their wrenches how bad can the sockets be. Guess I will keep em and put them through their paces...besides I dont wrench bikes 40hrs per week so dont see them not lasting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A lot of them had a lip and would not let the ratchet slide down over the bolt head.

I am just saying, been there done that (a couple times).

Yes, the reversible ones have that lip, other types do not. That is useful when you have to apply pressure to a fastener to get it to thread and with nuts , they will stay atop the wrench so at times that can help with placement, and the offset is better in most situations . A cheaper alternative , is the USA /sears CM ratcheting box wrenches. I uses those too, more than I thought I would. I have may types of gearwrench tools, the box multiwrench is great in that with 2 wrenches you have 8 sizes. The oil change magnetic socket kit is great, was less that $20 on a sale at sportsmans.
I work on cars,trucks, motorcycles. 40 years experience. Today , Taiwan unlike China, is very consistent with good quality, and they are not communists running things.. I saw a TV program on their production factory, very hi tech, very tight QC. US designers. Never had any issues, but as said they are not for hi torque applications, thay have their place.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think what he was talking about was a shouldered nut/bolt. Makes sense with what he said about non-reversible gear wrench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts