Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am accustomed to renting a plate compactor for large shallow areas and a jumping jack for shallow deep areas like ditches.

If you were to buy one, which would it be?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thats a good question. I've used both for basically the same applications you mentioned as one is better than the other in certain situations.
Either continue to rent or buy both.

If push came to shove I'd have to say the plate compactor is more versatile than the jumping jack.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Prepped for many slabs using a jumping jack. If you do them enough you can get them very close then throw a thin layer of AB after you compact. I am talking thin thin. Like more A than B. :laughing: Screed out the thin layer of AB and your golden.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
So I say jumping jack BTW........:laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
I had a soils engineer tell me I couldn't use a plate compactor for my pad, to get the proper percentage of compaction I needed for my inspection. I had to use the other one, which I believe is what your calling a jumping jack. The plate compactor is more for pavers and finish grade. But I could be wrong. It's just what he told me.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I had a soils engineer tell me I couldn't use a plate compactor for my pad, to get the proper percentage i needed for my inspection. I had to use the other one, which I believe is what your calling a jumping jack. The plate compactor is more for pavers and finish grade. But I could be wrong. It's just what he told me.
I feel plate compactors do not compact as well as a JJ for obvious reasons. But if your lifts are not too large I don't see why a plate comp would not be sufficient. IMO

Reactions: Calidecks

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
CrpntrFrk said:
I feel plate compactors do not compact as well as a JJ for obvious reasons. But if your lifts are not too large I don't see why a plate comp would not be sufficient. IMO
Exactly, hell if your lifts are small enough you could use your feet.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
An old boss picked up both from an auction a while back for $400. We got so much use out of both of them I couldn't imagine going without either.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
The two compactors are actually designed for different soil types.

Plate compactors are for granular soils in shallow lifts, where the vibration is what compacts.

Jumping jacks work better on clay type soils, deeper lifts, and situations where impact is needed, over vibration.

So all in all, it depends on what you do most often. when I'm doing slabs, it's Vib Plates. When I'm doing underground, it's a Jumping Jack.

Not to say that the uses don't overlap, this is just what they were designed for.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
We use both on almost everything. House slabs, driveways, etc... Like on a house if we have to put 12" of dirt we throw in a layer of dirt, use the jumping jacks, and then another layer. Then we screed of the dirt and then plate compact it. In my experience the plate compactor will only compact the dirt down about 1/2". this could also just be the dirt we use. So if we're pouring a 4" slab we actually are pouring a 4" slab (3.5" screed board plus 1/2" compaction). Do both and you can pass any compaction test. Of course on big jobs we use a sheep's foot and smooth drum compactors (skid loader attachments).

And I have more trouble keeping plate compactors running then jumping jacks... I've got two down right now that I need to replace the motors on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts