Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what is charged for drawing a complete Biddable,Buildable, Permitable plan for a new home or an addition ? Certainly to include a "Spec Sheet" with all call outs. We realize this price may vary across the country,
What do You Charge, or do you have someone else do this work and what are you charged ? Is the drawing done by hand or is it a CAD drawing or maybe some other program that you use ?
Interested to find out the answers to these questions.

Have a Great 4th of July !!!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I was speaking with an architect awhile back about designing a summer home for me to build, but that idea has been postponed a few years.

Anyways, they were charging anywhere from $1 per sq ft to $5 per sq ft. The one guy who wanted $5 per square ft was a moron. LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
well you can also look at those house plan books and on the internet for house plans and if your lot is not too crazy and you can do a slab or a simple crawl space foundation then you can use those, cause you at least know the plans have been built a few times before and have the kinks worked out of them. they come with materials list and full plans and you are looking between 500-2000 for everything. just have to make sure the wet signed copy jives with the building dept you are building the house in

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I should also mention it depends what the architect is doing for you. As a roofer I hate when I don't have a roof plan and I have to draw my own. As a home owner or a person who is going to build a house, I'd happily save a few bucks there because it's not a hard thing for a seasoned roofer to do accurately.

There are other things the architect can do that are optional like stair and/cabinet layouts. I think $1 per square foot will get you a plan capable of passing permit review but it will leave alot up to the imagination of the GC and his subs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts