Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Just looking for some advice. My brother-in-law tore down his house and built a new one, The cost of which is more then what was expected (from $500,000 to $800,000). The job has taken at least nine months from what was promised from the G.C. had agreed to, but nothing is "promised" or properly documented as far as time frames and restrictions are concerned. Everyone in the family wants him out. I am the painter, and we are finally at the end, but for he can not finish. The deficiencies, he just cant do. he has done some caulking that I know have to clean and repaint walls because of. With nothing written in stone does anyone know of a law or a web link that we may use to get this guy out of here and pay someone to fix his mistakes without losing any more money? Everyone seems to be taking a loss except for him. The deficiencies are as simple as caulking this or that and he still can't do it. There are minor problems with electrical and the likes, but we need someone to properly address the issues and resolve them. It is the end of a 16 month project, and he just can't finish. Any insight would help.
Thanx to all
All the best
The painter

·
Registered
416 Posts
rollin down the street, smokin endo sippin on gin and juice, lay back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind
thats going to be in my head for a while

back at cha

Drunk as hell but no throwing up
Half way home and my pager still blowing up
Today I didnt even have to use my a.k.
I got to say it was a good day.

·
Banned
538 Posts
thats going to be in my head for a while

back at cha

plus nobody i know got killed in south central la
today was a good day

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Hey folks,
Just looking for some advice. My brother-in-law tore down his house and built a new one, The cost of which is more then what was expected (from $500,000 to $800,000). The job has taken at least nine months from what was promised from the G.C. had agreed to, but nothing is "promised" or properly documented as far as time frames and restrictions are concerned. Everyone in the family wants him out. I am the painter, and we are finally at the end, but for he can not finish. The deficiencies, he just cant do. he has done some caulking that I know have to clean and repaint walls because of. With nothing written in stone does anyone know of a law or a web link that we may use to get this guy out of here and pay someone to fix his mistakes without losing any more money? Everyone seems to be taking a loss except for him. The deficiencies are as simple as caulking this or that and he still can't do it. There are minor problems with electrical and the likes, but we need someone to properly address the issues and resolve them. It is the end of a 16 month project, and he just can't finish. Any insight would help.
Thanx to all
All the best
The painter
Wow thats a big difference in price. What happend? You could have built 4 bedroom house for that price difference!

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
rollin down the street, smokin endo sippin on gin and juice, lay back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind
plus nobody i know got killed in south central la
today was a good day
I wonder how many people have NO idea what that is

I know I don't...you're mixing two different people up

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Hey folks,
Thanx to all
All the best
The painter
What does the contract say?

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
What does the contract say?
It says:

.... nothing is "promised" or properly documented as far as time frames and restrictions are concerned.

...nothing....we'll get done we are dam good and ready to be done.
BTW, got a check?

If they've got what it takes...it's going to take everything they've got!

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
If time is of the essence, it should have been put in the contract.

The painter of the BIL is complaining about the job, if he knows so much, why didn't he run the job?

Apparently anyone can be a GC.

I wonder how much the original scope of work has changed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
painter knows best

Got to remember that the painter covers almost all trades mistakes. A true GC would know that. Didn't say I knew it all or I wouldn't have came here looking for answers. Thanx for being a smart A$5. Was just looking to help my brother, but I guess your right I Am an Idiot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow thats a big difference in price. What happend? You could have built 4 bedroom house for that price difference!
Don't know could be lies just what I was told, I know he is WAY over. And because of GC's painter I got screwed on my price. This job has taken way to long. Just tring to get him out. So little left to do I could do it myself but other people are getting paid for it. Plus I can not build a driveway, or redue electrical. Just looking for a way out for everyone

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Got to remember that the painter covers almost all trades mistakes. A true GC would know that. Didn't say I knew it all or I wouldn't have came here looking for answers. Thanx for being a smart A$5. Was just looking to help my brother, but I guess your right I Am an Idiot!
How did you end up doing the paint...as opposed to the GC's normal paint sub?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know I don't...you're mixing two different people up

Why are you even on this sight with your two cents short of fifty.
I wonder how many got that? many other places you can be instead of buggin us. Help or get out, that's what we are all here for

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
How does the painter fix bad framing, bad design, structural issues, bad plumbing, bad flooring, etc?

I think you are over rating what a painter does.

A painter can help hide flaws in drywall, or if not done properly can make a good drywall job look like crap, other than that, what can a painter really do?

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Why are you even on this sight with your two cents short of fifty.
I wonder how many got that? many other places you can be instead of buggin us. Help or get out, that's what we are all here for
:laughing:

So you are the BIL's painter....
asking questions on behalf of your BIL....
concerning a project you know NOTHING about...
and you offer to show me the door?

I don't think so.

Is this the same house you forked the stairs up in?
I screw up the stairs

This thread is going about as well as that one did....:shutup:

According to my math.....
you logged on here in Feb. '08....
which coincidentally :whistling is about 16 months ago ~
or just about the time this job started.

Since you're not too bright, I'll lay the math out for you:
You are a Home Owner...or a HO as we call it.
There is no BIL.
You made change after change after change...and the GC went along with your hair brained "ideas".
Even allowing you to play painter to help reduce costs.
Obviously, the job went over schedule and over budget.
Now you want us to bail your sorry HO ass out.

Ya know what?
That ain't happen either.:no:

So to you sir, I say "Good Day!"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.