Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Kowboy
2,704 Posts
joshuap:

PBNY is correct. You need to think through and be compensated for the risk you'll be taking. You do not want all of the responsibility and no control.

I spent about 4K getting my Florida Builder's license. Don't even dream about taking the three tests without taking the Camtech or similar $1,200.00 class. No one has that much construction, finance, law, and safety knowledge in their head; in class you're practicing looking things up for the open-book and proctored exams. I bought the $900.00 worth of required books from sunkist for $300.00, but I've subsequently sold them. (My check bounced, damn that was embarrassing. It went through on the second try.) Each exam is $80.00 and you'll have an overnight for the one in Kissimmee. I hired Licenses Etc. to facilitate the application and set up my LLC. There goes another $1,500.00 or so, but my application sailed through. They were great and I highly recommend them.

Oh yeah, don't forget the fingerprinting. $50.00 or so.

·
Kowboy
2,704 Posts
joshuap:

How is your present employer operating now? They are either unlicensed or are licensed under another licensee.

They must agree to not only pay the school, exam fees, and expenses, but they'll need to agree to pay for your lawyer. You'd be insane to do this without counsel. And not just any lawyer either. He has to have construction business experience. In fact, you need to see him before any other arrangements are made. He may forbid the whole deal.

P.S.: You can work around the credit problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts