Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting my class B GC lic. here in the state of Florida, my question is the company I work for is willing to help me get it in return for them using it and I am curious if anyone has any experience in this. I really want to get my License and their help would be great but I am not sure how this typically works and what the pros and cons are in this type of situation. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I just want to get as much Info as I can as I want to make the right move as well as get as much information on the subject as possible before I even start to entertain the idea of doing this. Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
You are liable for all of their screw-ups which can put your license in jeopardy. You don't need their help. Go to the DBPR website and get it yourself without creating a debt to your employer for shady arrangements.

If they need license then they should go get their own. If they can't then there is likely a very good reason you likely should not be doing business with them any way.

·
Kowboy
2,579 Posts
joshuap:

PBNY is correct. You need to think through and be compensated for the risk you'll be taking. You do not want all of the responsibility and no control.

I spent about 4K getting my Florida Builder's license. Don't even dream about taking the three tests without taking the Camtech or similar $1,200.00 class. No one has that much construction, finance, law, and safety knowledge in their head; in class you're practicing looking things up for the open-book and proctored exams. I bought the $900.00 worth of required books from sunkist for $300.00, but I've subsequently sold them. (My check bounced, damn that was embarrassing. It went through on the second try.) Each exam is $80.00 and you'll have an overnight for the one in Kissimmee. I hired Licenses Etc. to facilitate the application and set up my LLC. There goes another $1,500.00 or so, but my application sailed through. They were great and I highly recommend them.

Oh yeah, don't forget the fingerprinting. $50.00 or so.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
joshuap:

PBNY is correct. You need to think through and be compensated for the risk you'll be taking. You do not want all of the responsibility and no control.

I spent about 4K getting my Florida Builder's license. Don't even dream about taking the three tests without taking the Camtech or similar $1,200.00 class. No one has that much construction, finance, law, and safety knowledge in their head; in class you're practicing looking things up for the open-book and proctored exams. I bought the $900.00 worth of required books from sunkist for $300.00, but I've subsequently sold them. (My check bounced, damn that was embarrassing. It went through on the second try.) Each exam is $80.00 and you'll have an overnight for the one in Kissimmee. I hired Licenses Etc. to facilitate the application and set up my LLC. There goes another $1,500.00 or so, but my application sailed through. They were great and I highly recommend them.

Oh yeah, don't forget the fingerprinting. $50.00 or so.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main issue I have regarding getting it on my own is A: I don't have the 660 credit score due to some personal issues in my past and B: I have a very large family and just don't have the type of finances available to pay for the school and all the reading material right now or in the foreseeable future.

I'm wanting to do this to try and get a little better situation both professionally and personally. I definitely appreciate the the help and if you guys know of any other routes I could possibly take or what type of compensation I should be asking for that would be great. I want to get my GC and continue moving forward but I just need the advice from those who are already there and have possibly experienced this type of situation. Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Kowboy
2,579 Posts
joshuap:

How is your present employer operating now? They are either unlicensed or are licensed under another licensee.

They must agree to not only pay the school, exam fees, and expenses, but they'll need to agree to pay for your lawyer. You'd be insane to do this without counsel. And not just any lawyer either. He has to have construction business experience. In fact, you need to see him before any other arrangements are made. He may forbid the whole deal.

P.S.: You can work around the credit problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sounds like a win win to me. Let them pay for your books and school then after you pass you tell them you will use your license only if you supervise or inspect each phase. Then of course, your more valuable to them $$. So you got a license, a better job and more money. Kind of a no brainer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.