Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm branching out into the Post-construction clean up and am running into two situations... and am interested to know what you all do or help me out.

For the various phases of clean up, the first phase is getting rid of the bricks, stones, lumber, drywall etc... do you all have your own people do that or you hire outside? For myself, I charge by the load on a 16" trailer. Please advise if there is a better method of doing that.

Secondly... when you do hire subcontractors to clean up for the first phase, how in-depth/detailed do you want them to get in regards to removing "ALL" the debris etc?

Thank You and depending on the replies, I may have a few follow up questions.

Leatherneck Constructon Clean Up
Marine Cleaning Co
Dallas, TX

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm branching out into the Post-construction clean up and am running into two situations... and am interested to know what you all do or help me out.

For the various phases of clean up, the first phase is getting rid of the bricks, stones, lumber, drywall etc... do you all have your own people do that or you hire outside? For myself, I charge by the load on a 16" trailer. Please advise if there is a better method of doing that.

Secondly... when you do hire subcontractors to clean up for the first phase, how in-depth/detailed do you want them to get in regards to removing "ALL" the debris etc?

Thank You and depending on the replies, I may have a few follow up questions.

Leatherneck Constructon Clean Up
Marine Cleaning Co
Dallas, TX
What kind of construction?
We use dumpsters, the drywallers scrap their own stuff, and we either have our own laborer (or our selves) clean up what the subs don't.
I like to make sure that the subs know the policy (in the contract).
Usually not a lot of lumber scrap left over with a good take-off and what is, is fireplace wood.
We recycle all trash in dumpsters, and separate the cardboard and recycle that.
As to your question if I hired someone it would be "get rid of everything in the pile in front of the house"
If you could leave the trailers and have the subs fill them I'd do that especially if you offered more services such as sweeping and raking the area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The masonry company I work for cleans up our own mess. Yes, we may leave a broken brick or block here and there, but generally, we clean our areas pretty good afterward.

I believe it should not be the GC's job to clean up the mess, but there is always something little to housekeep. Nothing a skidloader and a dumpster can't handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts