Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a young contractor. Been contracting residential gas piping for about 5 years, and I'm looking to expand what I do. I have a fair amount of knowledge of water heaters, and am just wondering if it is the next logical step in expanding my business. Any opinions?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you looking to do gas only? Are you a licensed gas fitter? If not, then you would want to look into becoming registered and licensed before venturing on youre own! As you know there is a lot more to gas than water heater's. Keep us informed and good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. I'd like to do both gas and electric. Yes, I am a licensed gas fitter, and registered as a specialty contractor.
I know I have the ability to do the work, but I'm just curious to see what people have to say about expanding what you offer people, and if there is anything I should know before getting into consistently contracting water heaters.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds like you might want to contact you're local gas co./electric co. and possibly sub off of them as a start. A lot of guys fill there cube vans with heaters and do nothing but installs for these utilities companies and make a very good living! If you can fufill the ins. etc. obligations of these companies than usually you would be covered to work for most others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a great idea. How do you feel about the referral programs they have, would you recommend trying to get business through those as well? It would seem like more money could be made contracting directly with the homeowner. Let me know what you think, and thanks again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
skatchmo said:
Thats a great idea. How do you feel about the referral programs they have, would you recommend trying to get business through those as well? It would seem like more money could be made contracting directly with the homeowner. Let me know what you think, and thanks again.
Just remember their customers for the most part are renting the heaters with no upfront cost for install or replacement, and you're money is guaranteed!!

Once you get into the homeowner market and start competing with plumbing companies you better make sure you can do the complete install legally!! Being able to pull the gas and plumbing permits for a heater and connecting the water(and/or electric)legally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, being able to do it legally, as far as permits go, is very important to me. Are you saying it takes less, in the way of certifications, to sub-contract from the utility companies?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good Question! I thought someone told me a while back that when installing for the gas co. they took care of the gas permit :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is cool, being a certified licensed gas guy, the bigger problem is the plumbing part, or electrical part. What is the easiest way to be able to become certified to do a little of each? I've heard theres certain things you can get to do a certain amount of each each year. Like general contractors licenses and stuff. I heard they weren't hard to obtain. Ever hear of anything like that? By the way, thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definately:
Thanks again. This has to be the best thing I've found as far as a helping hand since I started contracting. I really appreciate all the help, and look forward to helping, and posting to help others here. Take care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts