Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a customer call asking for gas into her FP (existing masonry)

she said 'my son did it for cheap- the plumber ran the gas up through the ash hole in the middle'

I told her it was unprofessional to do it that way...I gave her a rough price and she was silent....I figure 3 hours of labor, trip charge & $150-200 parts

you can guess at my price....was I wrong? she acted shocked at the price.....I figured hammer drill a hole from inside the fire box and either core a large hole in the side of the basement FP block or take a whole block out....then I figured you'd need 2 people to make the pipes match up...

I figured her son used flexible and ran it up the ash box cover in the basement in 20 minutes....

if you had a pipe in the ashbox cover then wouldn't pieces of wood on fire fall down it? I don't know if the ashes would start their own fire inside it or not or if it would matter....I just thought it was 1/2 *ssed to run it through the existing hole

ive had this same call before...they always think $200 will do it....I think the log lighter kit alone is $40

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Ya know how to catch a polar bear.....

Well, polar bears likes peas.... so you chop out some ice on a frozen lake and sprinkle some peas around it....

and when the polar bear comes to take a pea,,,, you kick him in the ice hole.

(Ah... takes me right back to third grade... or maybe I never left):whistling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts