Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed and installed many gas hot water heaters before but this one has been giving me grief since yesterday. My tenant called me to let me know they had no hot H2O. I went out and got the pilot lit, kept it lit for about a minute, turned the knob to on and slowly began to turn the temp knob to it's proper setting when all of a sudden it was like there was a tiny surge of gas. The little glass viewing window got all fogged up and the flame went out. I checked the gas shut-off on the side of the building and it was still on. I have since tried 2 more times to light this brand new heater and it keeps flashing itself out when I try to turn up the temp control knob. I installed it about a month ago and this all just started yesterday..... I'm not trying to launch myself into orbit so that's about as much as I'm gonna put into it.... any suggestions.... anyone? :sad:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
there is A huge RECALL on water heaters ,Damn I can't recall the manufacturer. Lowes is where the one I ran into came from.

Google water heater recall. Not your fault,Bad goods.(They will mail you the repair parts free)Try telling a customer to take cold showers for five days.

Good luck --MIKE--

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Same story-no plumbing house wants to be in the loop on the recall.
Parts only through mail from Mfgr.

Believe me, I tried. Customer ordered new heater.How can a family wait five days for parts?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got one at HD and was just about to switch it out. Your saying it won't go?
I never had any problems buying one then again I bought my plumbing supplies from Ferguson plumbing supply. If you got it at HD and it is left hand you wont have a problem.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
surge of gas? unit getting too much gas?!

replace the whole unit. too dangerous to fix it! you mght f*** it up!

not sayin you don't possess the skills..jus b safe..:thumbsup:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I've removed and installed many gas hot water heaters before but this one has been giving me grief since yesterday. My tenant called me to let me know they had no hot H2O. I went out and got the pilot lit, kept it lit for about a minute, turned the knob to on and slowly began to turn the temp knob to it's proper setting when all of a sudden it was like there was a tiny surge of gas. The little glass viewing window got all fogged up and the flame went out. I checked the gas shut-off on the side of the building and it was still on. I have since tried 2 more times to light this brand new heater and it keeps flashing itself out when I try to turn up the temp control knob. I installed it about a month ago and this all just started yesterday..... I'm not trying to launch myself into orbit so that's about as much as I'm gonna put into it.... any suggestions.... anyone? :sad:
by the way.. did you hold the pilot button the allotted - 1 minute - required for proper lighting of the water heater?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,214 Posts
I went out and got the pilot lit, kept it lit for about a minute, turned the knob to on and slowly began to turn the temp knob to it's proper setting when all of a sudden it was like there was a tiny surge of gas.
by the way.. did you hold the pilot button the allotted - 1 minute - required for proper lighting of the water heater?
Normally only takes about 10-15 seconds in real life. As long as the pilot stays on when you take your finger off the dial, you're good to go.

That really doesn't sound like a bad thermocouple to me--a bad thermocouple would shut the pilot off no matter how long you held it on before letting go.

I did once have a gas room heater that when the main flame lit, it would create enough of a draft that the pilot flame got sucked away from the thermocouple. TC cooled off, heater shut down. Repositioning the TC took care of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts