Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to replace my old oil fired burner with a Gas fired one. I have been on some sights that rate boilers and the ones that come up as very good are Bryant. They have a Bw9 model which has a an aluminum heat exchanger and a model Bwm that has a stainless steel heat exchanger. Can someone who really knows about boilers and reliability help me with the advantages and disadvantages with these. Also If I can get any feedback on other brands and anyone's experience over many years it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
I am looking at a tankless heater. I guess it depends on how many BTU's you need. My oil burner is for hot water too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I guess the only two types of exchangers are aluminum and stainless in the high efficiency units..I thought stainless would be better....Thanks..Oh How old is your veissman? And what kind of efficience is it? Any Problems..

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Efficiency is going to have a lot more to do with the whole system design than just the boiler. Proper heat loss, proper amount of radiation to run cooler water, etc. just swapping in a mod con the same size as your oil boiler and running 180 deg water through baseboard isn't going to give you anywhere close to peak efficiency.

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
so I guess the only two types of exchangers are aluminum and stainless in the high efficiency units..I thought stainless would be better....Thanks..Oh How old is your veissman? And what kind of efficience is it? Any Problems..
My Veissmann is about 3 years old now. No issues. It was rated up to 96% efficient, though the industry has since changed the ratings system, and for now wont call any mod-con greater than 90%.

Efficiency is going to have a lot more to do with the whole system design than just the boiler. Proper heat loss, proper amount of radiation to run cooler water, etc. just swapping in a mod con the same size as your oil boiler and running 180 deg water through baseboard isn't going to give you anywhere close to peak efficiency.
Yep, my boiler generally runs at around 125 degrees on the coldest days. I have it on outdoor reset, so on warmer autumn and spring days it might only pump 90 degree water through my floors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts