Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on who makes the best disposal. I am doing a high end kitchen and will be installing two 1hp disposals. The couple does a lot of cooking and emphasized the need for the best disposal available. Any input appreciated

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
A top of the line (In-Sink-Erator, 777ss) should keep them happy. Old name, all SS interior and pretty good sound proofing. it's the only unit that I install.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
The name that we think of for garbage disposers, "Disposal", is actually a brand name for GE's disposer. In my opinion, the "Disposal" branded units are crap.

My vote also goes to Insinkerator. They are top notch. 3/4 horsepower at a minimum, or 1 horse for optimal performance. Forgo the weak 1/3 and 1/2 horse pieces of crap, regardless of the brand.

I've wired a few high end residential kitchens that were done with commercial style appliances. In each instance, they were done with either the ISE disposers or with Hobart disposers. The Hobart units are a gigantic leap in price from the ISE, running several thousand dollars more. The ISE 777ss only runs between 250 and 300 bucks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's vote #3, ISE all the way. I would definately go with an SS model and depending on budget any upgrades are worth it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
In-Sink-Erator, 777ss. Old name, all SS interior and pretty good sound proofing. it's the only unit that I install.
It's unanymous! Nothin but the ISE 777ss.
I walked into the kitchen one day to find my wife stuffing a chicken (whole, bones and all) down the drain-the ISE barely hiccuped. My kids have jammed it with silverware only to have the breaker kick. Once the jam is clear, and breaker reset, it runs without incident. Believe it or not, unpopped popcorn causes the worst jams. It's almost 10 years old now and has never needed anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, My plumber has installed the ISE 3/4 and 1 hp on all other jobs without a problem so far. I just needed a little reassurance because of how much they emphasized that they wanted the "best".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts