Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a place that can get me dimensional garapa, 2x4, 4x4 etc.

Poured a stamped stoop first thing this morning and then went to Old Dominion.

Just picked it up today and then stacked and stickered on site.

Attachments

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
I loved working with it this summer. It may have taken over ipe as my favorite which is saying a lot. Beats the hell out of drill bits though.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
I found out the same thing and then found out how much new kapex blades cost while I waited for one to get sharpened.

It sure is nice to work with not weighing 150lbs per foot. It machines up beautifully too.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
You domino the miters? I tried the water based polyurethane glue from titebond with dominos on some garapa and it didn't get along until I wiped the miter with acetone then alcohol. Titebond 3 faired even worse with the garapa.

I love the hardwood wrench, don't see many people using them.

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do use dominos in the miters. More for face alignment then anything else. To slip the second row in you need to do some witch craft stuff.

The only one that holds is west systems, but I won't bother with that on a deck.

I am trying pl200 on this one.

It's wood outside after all.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
Not this helper again.
There goes the profit margin, had mine helping on a curly maple table lined with tiger wood... Its like he doesn't even respect the cost of the lumber.

He did do better than the last teenager though and payment in icecweem khons is definitely cheap labor.

·
Punching above his weight
12,613 Posts
If you pay for the gas from NJ I'll dig your footings and make your frames.

I don't know what it is, but I've never minded rough decking work. I like the cold too. Give me a radio and a shovel and I'm good to go.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
I've heard from a reliable source, that Garapa will not last as long as ipe. In fact, it was in the same category as redwood and cedar.
I've heard the same thing however, the cost is close to the same for clear cedar or redwood and the redwood and cedar is just not as high a quality stock and the garapa doesn't check and crack like the cedar; and redwood well... Good redwood needs to be reclaimed or its just not very pretty, of course that's in my corner of the world, which is further from redwood trees than it is garapa trees.

·
GC/carpenter
44,240 Posts
Easy Gibson said:
If you pay for the gas from NJ I'll dig your footings and make your frames. I don't know what it is, but I've never minded rough decking work. I like the cold too. Give me a radio and a shovel and I'm good to go.
I had to look at your location, I could keep you busy for life.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,533 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out here. Done a few garapa decks & not really a fan of it. I had to plane down some 7/8" thick boards to 3/4", it ruined the planer knifes on a half dozen or so boards. The garapa I used seem to shrink more than ipe or tigerwood too. I no longer try selling it, sticking with the ipe/tigerwood.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts