Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok doing a pole building bulding on a pretty steep grade. The building is up and is ready for fill. I need 28" of fill in the back to 6" in front. My plan was goetech, then 57's then cr6. I figured about 60 tons of stone to get where I need to be but the customer doesnt want to pay for it.($500 a load) They want to use fill dirt but I told them by the time I tamp it will cost more in labor. Is there a cheaper alternative to 57's for good fill base.?

·
Contractor
7,675 Posts
I would do the same thing you are doing.

As far as I am concerned you are spot on, by the time you bring in soil and compact it in lifts, (if you can find anything suitable for free), you will have more in equipment and man hours than the cost of the stone.

Some people don't understand that and need to be educated. He will also want you to be responsible if you do use soil and it settles.

I don't know of a cheaper product, maybe recycled concrete might be an alternative, but every time I have gotten quotes, it has not been less expensive enough to have to deal with the possible flat tires from wire that may be in it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Explain to the customer your two options. Price it using dirt then price it using gravel. After they see the numbers im sure they will be more then happy to go with the gravel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, I talked to the quarry and they said they have sub base for much cheaper, its a mixture of everything and they said it didnt have to be compacted, but it does have some dust in it. Any experiences with it. Also I was gonna to 6" of cr6 but will 4" do over a 57's base? thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the sub base your talking about is what I think it is then tamp it anyway and see how it reacts. If it looks like it is compacting pretty good then I would highly suggest tamping it. And im not familiar with the term cr6, what is/what size stone is this? And is it cheaper than the 57's? Also, the quarry usually carries bank run screenings depending on where you are and they are usually pretty cheap and compact well. It might pay to ask them about it.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
$500/load?

Wow, I can get 60 yards for $500, if I haul it myself. You must be looking at a pretty long haul from the Quarry.

Go with the Cheap fill in the back and then finish the whole thing as planned.

·
Contractor
7,675 Posts
If it has dust in it, it will probably settle.

What did the quarry call the product they want to sell you?

Can you say what quarry you are getting this from. I am familiar with most of them in the area. There is one that is more expensive and the quality of aggregate is not good.

Is the CR-6 going to be the finish for this building, or will it get a slab over the stone?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was merrick? in westminster, my buddy who dropped the loads for me said it had a lot of dust in it. Lafarge ended up being much cheaper. I just went with all 57's. It will get a slab, is cr6 necessary or is it a waste of money. That was like $550 a load.

·
Contractor
7,675 Posts
Good quality stone from Lafarge. I am not familiar with Merrick. I stay away from stone that is sourced in Rockville, it is too soft and when it gets wet will turn to mush.

You do not need and it would be ill advised to use CR-6 under a slab, 57's is all you want there. If it were going to be a stone finished area, I would prefer to top dress it with CR-8, the largest stones are smaller, (than with CR-6), and you can finish it off better.

Sounds like you have it under control. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts