Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let's not let out any secrets here like the key is under the fake rock, but what do you guys use to keep the shop secure? Even with locked doors someone who is desirous enough will gain entry and put a hurting on the tool collection, but what are some good tips for keeping the area secure?

would a fake keypad with an LED deter thieves? is there a product that can alert you in the home if the shop is accessed (like a door chime in a commercial setting)?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Half pit and half Labrador Receiver with full access to the shop. I still need to get around to putting my back door up on my shop.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
There is'nt anything that will prevent a break in if a person wants in, locks/deterants only keep honest people out, this we all know. IF things are this bad, motion lights to watch/monitor all entry points...doors/windows would be a cheap and easy first line of defense since "being seen" is a big thwarter of theivery.

Secondly you could wire up a system that would activate a bell in the house if a circuit is broken, but your looking at a few hun by the time you buy all the materials and circuit boards to make that happen.

Third, just call a company like ADT or the like and get a bid on a basic security system with keypad and have lights and siren wired into it as well...Now your looking close to the 1K mark all said and done, but it'll provide the best of all worlds along with the usability to make normal entry/exiting non exciting.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
We're out in the country here. If someone wants to break in, they could throw a brick through the front window and it wouldn't be heard by my nearest neighbors. However I have a canine security crew that will flat get your a$$ if your not supposed to be here. (see avatar) If no one is home you would be a brave soul to get out of the vehicle.

As mentioned, if someone wants to break in bad enough, they are going to get in. But any effort to deter a burgler is time well spent. Fake (or real) key pads, motion lights security signs, neighborhood watch programs all will make someone think before prying off a master lock and loading their truck up with your stuff.

Its been argued that night lights at the shop only give them a better view of what to steal. I say it gives me a better shot on the perp and I'd be less likely to hit one of the bull dogs hanging off his appendages.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Mine is only 100' from the house,
so I have cheap motion detector alarms
and a baby monitor.
I also have obscure glass in all windows,
a 13W CFL and a radio on 24/7.
At least they have to wonder if I'm
in there or not?

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
My small shop is also on my home property about 200' behind the house.

I've got a flood light that comes on every night and 7 double lamp motion detector lights around the shop....along with a monitored alarm w/ wireless backup that will also notify me in the house....I live in a not very nice area and don't take too many chances when it comes to the tools. :no:

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,533 Posts
Fake cameras with signs warning folks they are on camera works well.

Personally I have a 125 lb. lab that thinks he's a pit bull, he's pretty tame if he knows you, but look out otherwise.

I used to have a big male Alaskan Malamute who slept under my truck. One night every vehicle on my street got broken into including my neighbors state trooper car except mine. Folks thought he was a wolf cause he never barked, but would howl.

One of my buddies has a sign at his front gate, trespassers will be shot, survivers will be shot again. Works so good not even the sheriff deputies will go thru his gate without calling first. He doesn't even own a gun.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The simple things mentioned before like motion lights, etc.

But is there a reason you can't just put in a basic alarm system?

We have just a couple of motion sensors, and for fire we have heat detectors instead of smoke detectors because vehicle exhaust may set off smoke detectors.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
One of my buddies has a sign at his front gate, trespassers will be shot, survivers will be shot again. Works so good not even the sheriff deputies will go thru his gate without calling first. He doesn't even own a gun.
Saw one in a yard the other day that said,

"If you cant get from here to the house in 5 seconds don't try.
The dog can do it in 6."
:laughing:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I let everyone in the local area know I have this and I regularly take it to the range and also, shoot coyotes found in the area and string 'em up where people can see them...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
wth is that, a christmas tree air freshener? :laughing:
Looks more like he's eating a black ice cream cone.

I've got an alarm system, DSC 1832 to be exact; Capture IP Day/Night vandal proff dome cameras. Couple that with a wireless lighting control system....but if someone wanted in and had half a brain they could defeat it all in a snap.

A little trick I've done for alot of security systems is run the phone wire underground to the alarm pannel, then run a fake one near the cable entrance, but hook it up to a zone on the alarm. That way when some smart criminal goes to cut your phone line to defeat the alarm he sets it off.:w00t:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Always the tough guys with the guns, sheesh :whistling some of you guys need to get a grip
Nope. It's 'cause I has a small penis. Others like me buy big trucks or big equipment to make up for their lack of endowment. Me, I stick with big guns.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts