Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a garage pad and was wondering how long I need to leave it sit before I can start standing my walls on it? Is it ok if I stand the walls on it the next day?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I am in a slight hurry. If I don't get it done the day after I won't be able to do it for another 3 weeks. Would really prefer to get it done this weekend. But concrete won't be poured until Friday.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Unfortunately I am in a slight hurry. If I don't get it done the day after I won't be able to do it for another 3 weeks. Would really prefer to get it done this weekend. But concrete won't be poured until Friday.
I would wait at least a few days. You should ask the supplier for his recommendations.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I have built on one day old concrete whey I had to. If he is aware of its freshness and treats it like he would linoleum floor it will be fine.
I don't know much about masonry in general. But I do know it strengthens over time. I'd be afraid to start building too soon and ruin a good pour/finish.

I wonder how he will secure the sole plates to the fresh concrete?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know much about masonry in general. But I do know it strengthens over time. I'd be afraid to start building too soon and ruin a good pour/finish.

I wonder how he will secure the sole plates to the fresh concrete?
I plan to glue it and use some wedge anchors. But if the concrete isn't ready for wedge anchors I'll just tack everything temporary until I can drill wedge anchors in.

Was just concerned about the weight of the walls on the freshly poured concrete.

·
CCC
275 Posts
I assume your talking about stick framing. We used to pours lots of houses in a subdivision where they started standing their walls late that afternoon or the next morning. You'll be fine if your in a hurry just try and not bend your anchor bolts too much or you might pop your stem or garage curb.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Is this a floating slab? Thickened edges? Would you feel comfortable setting half your lumber load on one edge?

·
Registered
358 Posts
QCCI said:
Why not have your anchor bolts in the concrete, instead of wedge anchors?
X2

If the OP does decide to stick with wedge anchors I wouldn't torque them completely until the cement has more time to cure.

As for framing - if it's just the rough frame with sheathing I don't see weight being a problem as long as you're careful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not have your anchor bolts in the concrete, instead of wedge anchors?
I thought about anchor bolts. But decided its a little tougher to stand the wall considering I need to pre drill precise holes. I think subfloor glue and wedge anchors should be plenty. I'll only do the anchors when the concrete is indeed strong enough to handle them. I could also Ramset some pins in too maybe.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
not quite sure what your hurry is.

If it's your vacation week, you should have planed better,

my vote would be j-bolts, sill seal.pt plate,
then wall plate and framing after a couple days.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Go for it, if your worried about marking the fresh slab, spread out your roof sheathing on the slab to protect it.

Personally I would have anchor bolts in place at $.34 each as opposed to wedge anchors at $2.00 each plus the labour cost to drill the concrete. Either way doesn't matter, don't crank them tight for a couple weeks, just snug them up today

1 - 20 of 21 Posts