Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy put down some ridiculously expensive epoxy paint over his garage floor exactly as installed and its peeling and chipping up everywhere. He now wants to put down some vinyl tile that he saw. Does anyone have experience with installing something like this? I want to know how durable it is, how easy the install is, any popping over time, etc. Its an 800sq ft heated garage and is used frequently for working on race cars and diesel trucks, so it has to take a beating and put up with some heavy loads on jack stands, jacks, etc. Thanks for any help you can provide :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
VCT will scratch, gouge and break.

It also needs to be sealed & waxed.

The advantage is a damaged tile(s) can be easily replaced.

If the epoxy is coming up sounds like there may be a moisture problem that should be addressed.

There are VCT adhesives to use on high moisture content slabs but they are EXPENSIVE......

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'll let him know. He is anal so scratching and gouging might make him not want it. I haven't checked the floor with a moisture meter but the slab is 10 years old, good grading so no water gets in, etc so I hope there isn't an issue. I told him I would borrow or buy a meter before I do anything over the slab to make sure it wasn't going to pop. Any recommendations? I suggested the snap together plastic tiles but they're $4/sq ft and don't get great reviews when they're in a garage that actually gets used

·
Registered
818 Posts
Why not just seal the bare concrete or stain it?
VCT will hold up decently as long as its not abused...and if the slab is ok for it.

Not sure what else he could put down that would be better than VCT. Hardwood maybe?

Like I said earlier, why not bare concrete?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just seal the bare concrete or stain it?
VCT will hold up decently as long as its not abused...and if the slab is ok for it.

Not sure what else he could put down that would be better than VCT. Hardwood maybe?

Like I said earlier, why not bare concrete?
The garage is his pride and joy. He custom ordered a lift just because it needed to be powder coated a different color because they normally only come in blue. Think of what most wives think of their kitchen and thats what this garage is. Hardwood would be great, but that would get expensive quick.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I can't think of any brand or style of vinyl, linoleum, rubber or flooring of that nature suitable for the inherent abuse a garage floor must be designed for. Epoxy paint/coatings are the right choice. Installed correctly they will not fail the way you've describe. Besides that you have the option of sealed and stained concrete.

There's two reasons the existing epoxy might have failed. One would be installer error and the other would be some factor in the underlying conditions (usually moisture but also possible a prep failure in not getting the slab CLEAN and sufficient profile (texture) to bond the epoxy. Not testing the underlying conditions is ALSO installer error. So it's always installer error...........!

NOW to install any kind of resilient all of that epoxy would need to be blasted off, a flat and smooth profile created AND whatever moisture and/or alkaline conditions in the slab corrected.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He seems to be dead set on these tiles and doesn't want to diamond grind :bangin: not much I can do about it. If he wants me to do the install I will do it exactly as he directs so I won't be responsible for it :whistling

·
Registered
818 Posts
If he does make sure its vct and not the thin stuff.

·
Registered
810 Posts
VCT is a horrible idea. Pull into a garage with wet tires over vct and you might wind up in the next room. Metro makes a few products that have ADA compliant slip ratings. That would be a good place to start. Then again, they make slip resistant VCT as well. Personally, I'd want something with a wearlayer in a garage, not something that needs to be waxed.

·
Head sawdust creator
1,125 Posts
Etch the concrete then cut in "tile lines"!! If done properly it looks awesome!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts