Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are installing a 10,000 lb 2 post lift. We were told to wait at least 20 days.We waited 26 days and went to drill the holes for the anchors that were provided with the lift .The manual did not specify a depth we drilled the holes 3 and 3/4 of an inch for the 5 and 1/2 inch anchors we installed them and torqued them to 90 lb later found out the torque spec was 150 which was not specified in the manual once we tried to torque them to 130 lb a few of them started to pull out of the ground and the rest of them pulled out some but then torqued down being concerned that they pulled out too far and having a few others not torqued down. We contacted the manufacturer and they recommended to cut them off move the lift and redrill new holes The entire way through the slab then install new anchors and torque to 150lb . The garage slab is 4-in thick but is 6-in in the area that the lift is being installed we drilled the new holes for the lift The entire way through the slab drilling was not too difficult however we were using a very large hammer drill that was borrowed. However after drilling the holes appeared to be soft and kind of powder-like white not a hard gray boar,we were sure to run a Shop-Vac while drilling the holes to keep the dust down and keep them clean some of the dust was coming off the bits in kind of clumps I'm not sure if this means the concrete is not cured enough? Or if it is a bad batch? I've read the concrete can be drilled in 7 days I have waited 26 and I'm not sure what the issue is but it seems like it should be harder than this however the surface appears nice hard and smooth. If I stick a screwdriver or pick down in the hole the walls of the hole can be scratched or gouged very easily.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
what was your mix design?

pull the batch ticket and see how it compares to the spec'd mix design.

very common to wait 21 days to drill, however the engineer usually calls this out as most prefer to wait 28 days.

perhaps you should have the concrete tested.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
was the concrete placed with the proper slump?

tested?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,206 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.