Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
New and Remodel Carpentry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a garage door opener be installed a little of center by maybe 6 inches and still be affective. I have a house where the garage is underneath the house and there isnt alot of headroom above the top of door to the bottom of the floor joists. So if i can offset of center i can install a opener inside a joist bay which will be a big help so i dont have to go into the house to be able to open to load/unload tools Thanks in advance

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
If it lines up with the opening it would be alright:>) Make sure the customer knows it will be off center AND agrees that it is acceptable before proceeding.

Normally 12" of head room is needed for the opener and hardware, but you can get a low headroom kit if it's going to to be real tight. Check with an overhead door shop for the dimensions. We had one with only about 8" of clearance and the installer got the right kit and made it work the first time.

We use the Overhead Door Company for ours.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
normally 14" is needed depending on the door manufacturer. Sounds like a low clearance kit will be needed. What is the head room from the opening to the joists?

·
New and Remodel Carpentry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is only 5" from the top of the door to the bottom of the joist. But if i can offset the closer i can go another 9 1/4 into the joist bay. I think it would work fine being offset but dont want to drop the money on a closer until i have a good idea that it will work.

This is my own home and use the garage space for tool storage so it would be nice to pull up hit the button get what i need and get out. But if i have to i will just fix the keyed lock and then i would still be able to open it from outside.

Thanks again

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
OK, it's good you got things clear with the HO then.

You may still want to look into the low clearance kit. It provides a second track for the rollers of the top panel. Tightens up the turning radius while still allowing the top panel to remain upright when closed. Also tips that top panel slightly when the door opens, perhaps allowing clearance with the opener head up in a joist bay.

Good Luck
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts