Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...three times today... My garage door has opened on its own while I've been home.

I opened it this morning to load my truck, and thought I closed it when I left....got home, the door was open, and cursed my self. A little while later I heard a noise, went ouside and it was open again. This has happened two more times.

What's going on?

I have one remote (6wk old battery) that is on the visor in my truck (just checked incase it was stolen) and one switch on the wall. The sensors seem to be working. LED is on and flickers when I wave my hand in front of it.

It's almost like a neighbor is having fun with me....

Any diagnostic suggestions, Im not sure where to start?

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Aluminum foil the whole house, double wrap the garage. Tape the seems. It's all in the details.:clap:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try changing the codes.
Thanks, neo...and all

My remote has a single rubber button...I went to fetch it from the truck to started figuring out how to change the code.......soon as I grabbed it the door went up and I noticed the rubber button hadn't fully realesed.

For now, I'll assume that was the problem. I only used my remote once today, the rest were with the wall mount.

I'm still curious, if the button was partially engaged wouldn't the door be herky-jerky instead of opening intermittently?

At any rate, I'll get a new remote, and wall switch.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad contacts maybe on the pushbutton?
Must be...

the rubber cover was hung up on the rigid plastic encasement. I feel like an ass....

Actually, it was a relief the solution was so simple. If in fact that's the problem....since I last posted nothing's happened.

Hopefully I'll be able to replace my remote.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Must be...

the rubber cover was hung up on the rigid plastic encasement. I feel like an ass....

Actually, it was a relief the solution was so simple. If in fact that's the problem....since I last posted nothing's happened.

Hopefully I'll be able to replace my remote.
When it comes to troubleshooting electrical circuits it can only be so many things. Knowing what those "things" are and understanding how the electrical system is wired is highly beneficial to fixing any broken circuit. Don't worry, I've been called out to fix stuff like this more times than I care to remember.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts